July 17, 2014
STORRS, Conn. – The UConn men’s hockey program is gearing up for their debut in Hockey East this fall as we take a look at the 11 other programs that make up the historic conference. Thursday’s preview takes a look at the Boston University Terriers. Season tickets for the Huskies 11-game slate at the XL Center in downtown Hartford are on sale now at UConnTickets.com.
UConn and BU met for the first time on the ice last season, a 4-1 Terrier win at home in Agganis Arena. The Huskies lone goal came off the stick of senior captain Brant Harris, his first of the season. Senior netminder made 37 saves, stopping all 17 BU shots in the first period. The Terriers tacked on three second period goals from Danny O’Regan, Nick Roberto and Kevin Duane to take control. Harris scored early in the third but BU tacked on a Robbie Bailargeon empty netter to produce the 4-1 final. BU held a 41-29 edge on shots in the win.
Boston University Notes:
- Boston University is one of the founding members of Hockey East and have won eight regular season championships over the league’s 30 seasons, second only to Boston College.
- Head Coach David Quinn will begin his second season on the bench for BU in 2014-15. Quinn played at BU from 1984-88 and replaced his former head coach and mentor, Jack Parker, who announced his retirement after 40 seasons at the helm of the Terrier program.
- Parker spent 40 seasons leading his alma mater, guiding the Terriers to three National Championships (1978, 1995, 2009). He ranks third among Division I hockey coaches with 897 career victories. Last season, he was honored with the 2014 Hobey Baker Legend of Hockey award and Hockey East Founders Medal.
- UConn assistant coach Joe Pereira played for BU from 2007-11 and help lead the Terriers to the 2009 National Championship. He captained the team during his senior season.
- BU has made 32 NCAA Tournament appearances all-time, winning five National Championships (1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009). The 2014-15 season will be the 93rd season of play for the Terriers who have piled up 1,457 wins, third all-time to only Minnesota (1,709) and Michigan (1,609).
- BU finished 10-21-4 overall in 2013-14 and posted a 5-12-3 Hockey East mark, finishing ninth in the final standings.
- Sophomore Robbie Baillargeon earned Hockey East All-Rookie team honors last year after leading the Terriers in scoring with 10 goals and 17 assists.
- Junior defenseman Matt Grzelcyk has been named captain for the 2014-15 season while seniors Cason Hohmann and Evan Rodrigues will serve as alternate captains.
- BU had three incoming freshmen taken in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. Defenseman John McLeod was taken in the second round, 57th overall by Tampa Bay and fellow defenseman Brandon Hickey was taken seven picks later by Calgary. Forward J.J. Piccinich was selected 103rd overall in the fourth round by Toronto.
Nov. 8th – at BU – Agganis Arena
Nov. 22nd – vs. BU – XL Center
All-Time Series – BU leads, 1-0-0
First Meeting – Nov. 17, 2013 at BU (Agganis Arena), BU 4 – UConn 1
Last Meeting – Nov. 17, 2013 at BU (Agganis Arena), BU 4 – UConn 1
Joined Hockey East – 1984-85 (30 seasons)
Hockey East Titles – 8
2013-14 Record/Finish – 5-12-3 / 9th place
The University of Connecticut will become the 12th member of Hockey East in 2014-15. The historic league just celebrated its 30th anniversary season in 2013-14. Over the past 30 years, Hockey East has cemented itself as the nation's elite college hockey league, having earned 38 berths in the NCAA Frozen Four and boasting eight NCAA title winners: the University of Maine in 1993 and 1999, Boston University in 1995 and 2009, Boston College in 2001, 2008, 2010 and 2012.
UConn joins Boston College, Boston University, the University of Maine, the University of Massachusetts, the University of Massachusetts Lowell, Merrimack College, the University of New Hampshire, Northeastern University, the University of Notre Dame, Providence College and the University of Vermont to round out the league's membership.
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS