July 24, 2014
Buy 2014-15 UConn Hockey XL Center Season Tickets Now!
STORRS, Conn. – The UConn men’s hockey program is gearing up for their debut in Hockey East this fall as we take a look at the 11 other programs that make up the historic conference. We close out the week with the team just over 70 miles north of UConn, the UMass Minutemen. Season tickets for the Huskies 11-game slate at the XL Center in downtown Hartford are on sale now at UConnTickets.com.
The Huskies have faced UMass more than any other team in Hockey East with the Minutemen holding a 24-9-2 edge in a series that dates back to the 1960-61 season, UConn’s first season of play. The Huskies and Minutemen have met 11 times since UConn joined the Division I ranks in 1998-99, with UMass posting an 8-2-1 mark. Last season, UConn ended a four-game UMass winning streak in the series with a 2-1 win over the Minutemen in the consolation game of the UConn Hockey Classic. Senior Billy Latta buried the game-winner on the power play with 5:04 left in the third period to lift the Huskies to a 2-1 win. Rookie netminder Robby Nichols turned away 37 shots to notch the win. The game was played at the XL Center in downtown Hartford, UConn’s new home starting this season, and was UMass’s first road game against the Huskies since the 1970’s.
University of Massachusetts Notes:
- The University of Massachusetts became a member of Hockey East for the 1993-94 season. They are still in the hunt for their first Hockey East championship. UMass had their best-season in Hockey East during the 2003-04 campaign, where they finished third in the standings and lost to Maine in the league championship game, 2-1, in triple overtime.
- Head Coach John Micheletto will begin his third season at the helm of the UMass program in 2014-15. Micheletto was named the program’s 13th head coach in 2012 and earned his first career victory as a head coach beating the Huskies, 4-1, at home. Prior to heading to Amherst, he spent nine years at Vermont, five as Associate Head Coach.
- UMass has made just one NCAA Tournament appearance, in 2007, beating St. Lawrence in the first round before falling to Maine in the quarterfinals.
- The Minutemen finished 8-22-4 overall in 2013-14 and 4-13-3 in Hockey East play, 10th in the final league standings. UMass fell 2-1 at Vermont in the first round of the Hockey East playoffs to end their season.
- Former UMass goaltender Jonathan Quick helped lead the Los Angeles Kings to their second Stanley Cup in the last three seasons with a 4-2 series win over the New York Rangers in 2014. Quick and the Kings also won the Stanley Cup in 2012 beating the New Jersey Devils.
- UMass incoming freshman defenseman Brandon Montour was selected by the Anaheim Ducks in the second round with the 55th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. Montour enters the UMass program as the highest-ever draft pick in team history.
Feb. 27th – vs. UMass – XL Center
Feb. 28th – at UMass – Mullins Center
All-Time Series – UMass leads, 24-9-2
First Meeting – Jan. 10, 1961 at UMass, UMass 3 – UConn 3
Last Meeting – Dec. 30, 2013 at UConn (XL Center), UConn 2 – UMass 1
Joined Hockey East – 1994-95 (20 seasons)
Hockey East Titles – 0
2013-14 Record/Finish – 4-13-3 / 10th place