Aug. 12, 2014
Buy 2013-14 UConn Hockey XL Center Season Tickets Now!
STORRS, Conn. – The UConn men’s hockey program is gearing up for their debut in Hockey East this fall as we take a look at the 11 other programs that make up the historic conference. This week starts with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish who just completed their first season in Hockey East. Season tickets for the Huskies 11-game slate at the XL Center in downtown Hartford are on sale now at UConnTickets.com.
This season will mark the first time the Huskies and Fighting Irish have met on the ice in the history of the two programs. UConn will make the trip out to South Bend on January 16th and then play host to Notre Dame on January 18th. The Huskies will host Notre Dame at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport in what will be UConn’s fifth appearance at the arena this season.
University of Notre Dame Notes:
- The University of Notre Dame became the 11th member of Hockey East and played their first season in the league in 2013-14. Notre Dame was previously a member of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association, which no longer exists.
- Head Coach Jeff Jackson will begin his 10th season at Notre Dame in 2014-15. During his tenure at Notre Dame, Jackson has led the Fighting Irish to a 185-110-33 record and a pair of CCHA regular season titles (2007, 2009) and three CCHA Mason Cup Championships (2007, 2009, 2013). Prior to coming to Notre Dame, Jackson spent six seasons at Lake Superior State where his team’s won NCAA titles in 1992 and 1994. In 1996, he was named the national coach and senior director of the newly founded U.S. National Team Development program. He led the United States Junior National Team to silver at the 1997 World Junior Championships and the following year served as an assistant for Team USA at the 1998 Olympics. Jackson also had an assistant coaching stint with the New York Islanders from 2003-05.
- The Fighting Irish have made seven trips to the NCAA Tournament, six under head coach Jeff Jackson since 2007. Notre Dame has twice advanced to the Frozen Four, in 2008 in Denver and in 2011 in St. Paul. The Fighting Irish lost the 2008 title game to Boston College, 4-1.
- Notre Dame play their home games in the Compton Family Ice Arena, opened in October of 2011. For the second straight year, the Chicago Blackhawks will open their training camp at the facility with practices on Friday, Sept. 19 and run through Sunday, Sept. 21.
- Notre Dame finished the 2013-14 season 23-15-2 overall and 9-9-2 in their first season in Hockey East, tied for seventh with Vermont in the final standings. The Fighting Irish beat Boston University in the opening round of the Hockey East playoffs and advanced to the semifinals at TD Garden by beating regular season champion Boston College, 2-1, in a three-game series. The Fighting Irish fell to UMass Lowell, 4-0, in the semifinal but were placed in the NCAA West Regional as the #2 seed. For the second-straight year, St. Cloud State ended Notre Dame’s season in the NCAA Tournament, beating the Fighting Irish 4-3 in overtime.
- The Fighting Irish finished last season ranked 11th in both the final USCHO.com poll and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll.
- Notre Dame graduated defenseman Stephen Johns was named a 2014 Hockey East Second Team All-Star. Johns played in all 40 games, leading Notre Dame defensemen with eight goals and 20 assists. He finished the year with a +5 rating. After the season, Johns signed a two-year, entry level contract with the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Fellow graduates Bryn Rust and T.J. Tynan also signed two-year entry level contracts at the end of the 2013-14 season. Rust inked a deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins while Tynan signed on with the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Notre Dame sophomore Vince Hinostroza was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie team last season. Hinostroza finished the season third on the team in scoring with 32 points on eight goals and 24 assists. He had a +6 rating on the season
- Notre Dame incoming freshman forward Jake Evans (Toronto, Ont.) was taken in the seventh round, 207th overall by the Montreal Canadians in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft this past June. Future Notre Dame commit (2015-16) forward Joe Wegwerth (Brewster, N.Y.) was taken in the fourth round, 92nd overall by the Florida Panthers.
- Fighting Irish incoming freshman goaltender Cal Petersen (Waterloo, Iowa) was awarded the Dave Peterson Goalie of the Year Award given to the top U.S. goaltender at the international, professional, collegiate or junior level of USA Hockey. Petersen played last season with the Waterloo Black Hawks in the USHL and was teammates with UConn incoming freshman defenseman Derek Pratt.
University of Notre DameJan. 16th – at Notre Dame – Compton Family Ice ArenaJan. 18th – vs. Notre Dame – Webster Bank ArenaAll-Time Series – Have Never MetFirst Meeting – n/aLast Meeting – n/aJoined Hockey East – 2013-14 (1 season)Hockey East Titles – 02013-14 Record/Finish – 9-9-2 / t-7th place