Video - HuskyVision
Audio - WHUS 91.7 FM
Live Stats - Gametracker
Twitter - @UConnMHOC
Follow the Huskies
The UConn Huskies will open their 15-game home schedule Friday night at the XL Center hosting the Arizona State Sun Devils.
- The Huskies welcome Arizona State to the XL Center for the 2015-16 home opener. The Sun Devils are in the midst of a three-game swing through Connecticut. ASU took on Quinnipiac Thursday night and close their road trip on Saturday against Sacred Heart in Danbury.
- The Huskies split their opening weekend series at Alabama Huntsville, winning 5-2 on Friday but falling by that same score on Saturday. Their win on Friday marked UConn's first victory in a season opener since the 2007-08 opener, a 4-2 home win over AIC.
- Freshman Max Letunov was named the Hockey East Pro-Ambitions Co-Rookie of the Week. Letunov had a hat trick in his collegiate debut and finished with four points on the weekend.
- Letunov shared the award with UMass rookie Austin Plevy. The duo were the firsts to notch a hat trick in their collegiate debut since Notre Dame's Anders Lee did it in 2010.
- As a team, Huskies have 18 combined freshmen and sophomores, tied for the fourth highest combined total in the nation. Rookies Miles Gendron and Joseph Masonius joined Letunov in scoring their first career goals over the weekend. Freshman Tage Thompson picked up three assists over the two games.
- Sophomore Corey Ronan converted a penalty shot in Saturday's loss. The last time the Huskies were awarded a penalty shot was when Pat McAuley drew one against Air Force in the UConn Hockey Classic on December 29, 2008.
- Goaltender Rob Nichols played in goal on Friday and made just 13 saves to get win, the lowest total of his career in a win. The Huskies defensively allowed just 15 total shots, none in the third period.
Scouting the Sun Devils... The Arizona State Sun Devils opened play as the newest Division I program last weekend with a split in the state of Alaska. The Sun Devils lost 3-2 in overtime at Alaska Anchorage in their season opener but rebounded to post a 2-1 win over Alaska Fairbanks to close their trip. Junior Ryan Belonger had three points on the weekend, scoring the game-winning goal late in the third to help beat Alaska Fairbanks. ASU used both of their goaltenders as freshman Ryland Pashovitz made 37 saves to earn the win over the Nanooks and junior Robert Levin mad 37 stops in the overtime loss to Anchorage. The Sun Devil roster has eight players who have previous NCAA Division I experience including three from Hockey East schools: Ryan Belonger (Northeastern), Dylan Hollman (UMass Lowell), Garrett Peterson (Notre Dame). Graduate student Brock Krygier, a transfer from Michigan State, is the son of UConn's all-time leading goal scorer Todd Krygier (1984-88).
Last Meeting with Arizona State... Friday night's game marks the first-ever meeting between UConn and Arizona State on the ice. The Huskies are scheduled to meet ASU again in Tempe, Ariz. on January 5th. The Huskies and Sun Devils could meet a third time as part of the Desert Hockey Classic in Glendale, Ariz.
Last Time Out... The UConn Huskies got goals from sophomore Corey Ronan and freshman Miles Gendron but special teams proved costly as Alabama Huntsville posted a 5-2 win last Saturday night in the weekend series finale. The Huskies were whistled for seven penalties and allowed both a Charger power play and shorthanded goal in the loss. UAH sophomore Brennan Saulnier finished with a pair of goals and assists while Chad Brears added a goal and two helpers in the win. Junior goaltender Carmine Guerriero gave up a pair of first period goals but kept a clean sheet the rest of the way making a total of 29 saves to earn the win. UConn finished the night with a 31-29 edge in shots but were 0-for-5 on the power play. Sophomore Steve Thulin made his first career start in goal for the Huskies and made 24 saves in taking the loss.
Letunov Captures First Hockey East Rookie of the Week Award... Freshman Max Letunov posted four points as the Huskies split their season opening weekend series at Alabama Huntsville, earning Hockey East Pro Ambitions Co-Rookie of the Week. He shares the league's first rookie award of the season with UMass rookie Austin Plevy. Letunov opened his collegiate career on Friday night by recording a hat trick in UConn's 5-2 win over UAH. He netted the game-winner in the second period then tacked on two more in the third period for a three-goal debut night. In game two, Letunov help set up the Huskies second goal of the night coming off the stick of fellow rookie Miles Gendron.
Home Opener... The Huskies return to the XL Center for a 15-game slate starting Friday night vs. Arizona State. UConn won their home-opener last season at the XL Center, knocking off nationally ranked Boston College, 1-0, in front of a sold out crowd. The Huskies played 11 games at XL last season, averaging 5,814 fans per game and posting a 5-2-4 mark at the downtown Hartford arena.