Oct. 24, 2013
The UConn vs. Union Series... Tonight's match-up is the 11th meeting on the ice between UConn and
Last Time Out... UConn fell at
Husky Notes... The Huskies opened their season last weekend at
- The Atlantic Hockey Association head coaches tabbed the Huskies to finish fourth in the 2013-14 Preseason Coaches Poll. The Huskies finished last season 19-14-4 and advanced to the AHA semifinals. The Niagara Purple Eagles, the reigning AHA regular season champions, were tabbed as the preseason favorite to take home the title this season.
- Coach Cavanaugh announced that senior forwards Brant Harris and Billy Latta will wear the "C" on their jersey as captains of the 2013-14 Huskies. Senior forward Jordan Sims and junior forward Trevor Gerling will serve as the assistant captains this season.
- Harris and Sims are the top-scorers among 23 returning skaters in 2013-14. Harris scored 15 goals and dished 16 assists on his way to a 31 point season. He led the team with six power play goals on the year. Sims also tallied 31 points in 2012-13, assisting on 21 Husky goals over the course of the season. Gerling finished with 25 points last season, lighting the lamp 12 times including three game-winners.
- In goal, senior netminder Matt Grogan posted a 14-4-3 mark with a stingy 1.93 goals against average and a .937 save percentage, second among AHA goalies. Grogan was named to the All-Atlantic Hockey Third Team honors.
- Eight new faces make up this season's freshman class, including defensemen Ryan Segalla, a fourth round pick of the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
- The annual UConn Ice Hockey Classic will make its debut at the XL Center in downtown
Scouting the Dutchmen... The Union Dutchmen are off to a 1-2-1 start to their season as they make their first road trip of the season. The Dutchmen dropped the opening game of the series with the Lakers last Friday as Stephen Perfetto buried the game-winner just over a minute into overtime for a 6-5 win. Despite outshooting the Lakers 48-17 on Saturday,
Up Next... The Huskies will open the Atlantic Hockey schedule next weekend with Army and Sacred Heart paying a visit to the Freitas Ice Forum. UConn will play host to the Black Knights on Friday, November 1st and the Pioneers on Saturday, November 2nd. The puck will drop at 7:05 pm on both nights.