Follow the Huskies
UConn fans can follow the Huskies all season on the official athletics website UConnHuskies.com, on Twitter @UConnMHOC, on Facebook at facebook.com/UConnMHOC and now on Instagram at UConnMHOC. Be sure to use the hashtags #AllAboard and #IceBus
- Freshman Max Letunov has posted a point in every game this season and his 11 points (5g/6a) is tied with Tyler Kelleher of New Hampshire for the lead in the nation in scoring.
- Letunov’s five goals are tied with Dennis Kravchenko of UMass and Dan Correale of New Hampshire for tops in Hockey East. His five goals leads all Hockey East rookies and is tied with Chase Berger of Penn State for the lead in the nation.
- Freshman Tage Thompson joined Letunov by becoming the second Husky this season to record a hat trick. Thompson scored all three of his goals on the power play Tuesday night vs. BU.
- The last Husky to net three power play goals in a game was Alex Gerke in an 8-3 win over Sacred Heart on November 16, 2011. That game also marked the last time the Husky power play scored four times, a feat they matched in Tuesday’s win over BU.
- The win over No. 7/8 Boston University also marked the fourth time under head coach Mike Cavanaugh that the Huskies have knocked-off a team ranked in the top-10 nationally, three of those wins coming at home in the XL Center.
- Offensively, UConn has spread the wealth over the first four games. 12 different Huskies have scored a goal and 18 different players have registered at least a point.
- As a team, the Huskies have 18 combined freshmen and sophomores, tied for the fourth highest combined total in the nation. 15 of UConn’s 19 goals this season have been scored by a freshman or sophomore while the two combined classes have registered 40 points through the first five games.
Last Season vs. ND... The Huskies took on Notre Dame for the first time in program history last season and went 0-1-1 against the Irish. UConn turned in a then career-high 41 saves to help lead the Huskies to a 3-3 tie at Notre Dame in a nationally televised game at the Compton Family Ice Arena. The Huskies carried a 2-1 lead into the third period but a power play goal from Austin Wuthrich midway through the period pulled the game even. Spencer Naas scored his 10th goal of the season for the Huskies in the first while Shawn Pauly and Cody Sharib scored back-to-back just 1:11 apart in the second. The Irish outshot the Huskies 44-20 on the night. The two teams went back to Connecticut for the second game of the series, a 6-1 Notre Dame win at the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport. Irish defenseman Robbie Russo recorded a hat trick and rookie goaltender Cal Petersen turned in 28 saves in the win. The Huskies led 1-0 as Kasperi Ojantakanen scored a power play goal at 16:16 of the first. Russo scored his first of three with 48 seconds left in the first and the Irish threw five more unanswered goals on the scoreboard for the lopsided win. Notre Dame once again dominated the shot chart to the tune of 41-29. Russo finished out the weekend series with four goals and an assist against the Huskies.
Scouting the Fighting Irish... The Notre Dame Fighting Irish come into the weekend series at 1-1-2. The Irish are coming off a pair of 3-3 ties at home against No. 6 ranked Minnesota Deluth. Notre Dame split their season-opening series at Penn State. The Fighting Irish were picked to finish seventh in the Preseason Hockey East Coaches’ Poll. Sophomore goaltender Cal Petersen is back in net this season after earning a spot on the Hockey East All-Rookie team. He has played every minute thus far posting a 3.37 goals against average with a .911 save percentage. Senior Steven Fogarty has three goals and three assists in the early going after posting 21 points last year (9g/12a). Senior Mario Lucia scored a team-leading 21 goals last season and has two goals and two assist through the first four games. Sophomore defenseman Jordan Gross returns to the blue line after posting 28 points (7g/21a) last year. He shares the team lead with four assists this year.
Last Time Out... Freshman Tage Thompson recorded the second hat trick by an UConn freshmen this season to lead the Huskies to a 5-2 win over No. 7 Ranked Boston University Tuesday night from the XL Center. The Huskies scored four times on the power play to pick-up their first Hockey East victory of the season. All three of Thompson’s goals came on the power play as the Huskies finished four-of-seven on the night with the extra skater. Senior Joey Ferriss and junior Evan Richardson both scored their first goals of the season in the win. Freshman Max Letunov had his fourth multi-point game of the season with three assists on the night while sophomore Johnny Austin collected a pair of assists for the Huskies. Junior netminder Rob Nichols turned in a season-high 36 saves to garner the win. Thompson scored his first goal of the night to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead in the first but BU answered late in the period to send the game to the first break tied. UConn rattled off four-straight goals over the second and third periods to take a commanding 5-1 lead en route to the upset win. The Terriers held a 38-24 edge on shots but were just one-of-five on the power play.
College Hockey in Brooklyn... UConn will take part in a college hockey double header as part of the Barclays Center’s BROOKLYN HOCKEY program on November 1st. The event, in partnership with Play By Play Sports, LLC, will also feature an Atlantic Hockey league match-up between Army and Bentley. The Army-Bentley match-up will kick-off the event at 11:15 am with the Huskies and Fighting Irish to follow at 2:30 pm. The Brooklyn arena will be hosting a hockey triple-header the day ends with an NHL match-up between the New York Islanders and Buffalo Sabers at 7:30 pm. A separate ticket is needed for admission. Tickets are on sale now and available for purchasing online by visiting BarclaysCenter.com or Ticketmaster.com, or by calling 800-745-3000.
Husky Hockey on the UConn IMG Audio Network... The University of Connecticut men’s ice hockey team will receive extensive coverage this season on the UConn IMG Audio Network with the debut of the “UConn Hockey Radio Show” with head coach Mike Cavanaugh and game coverage of 12 Husky contests.
- The “UConn Hockey Radio Show” will be broadcast from Dave and Buster’s in Manchester from 7-8 p.m. The shows will take place on: Wednesday, 11/4; Monday, 11/9; Tuesday, 12/8; Monday, 1/18; Monday, 1/25; Monday, 2/1; Monday, 2/22; and Wednesday, 3/2.
- The game broadcast schedule will be: 10/27 vs. Boston University; 10/31 vs. Notre Dame; 11/6 vs. UMass; 11/10 vs. Army; 11/24 vs. Boston College; 12/6 at UMass-Lowell; 1/22 vs. Vermont; 1/23 at Boston College; 1/26 vs. Sacred Heart; 2/2 vs. Brown; 2/19 vs. Northeastern; 2/26 vs. New Hampshire
- The host of the “UConn Hockey Radio Show” and primary play-by-play announcer of the games will be Rich Coppola, who has been the sports director at Fox61 since 1989. Coppola is an eight-time winner of the Connecticut Sportscaster of the Year Award – given by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association.
- Coppola will be joined on many of the game broadcasts by Joe D’Ambrosio, the voice of UConn men’s basketball and football and Bob Joyce, the voice of Husky women’s basketball on the network.
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS