Skip to main content Skip to footer
Diouf Nets Game Winner In Overtime To Defeat Dartmouth, 2-1

Mamadou Diouf scored the game-winning goal tonight against Dartmouth.

Aug. 31, 2012

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - Preseason All-American Mamadou Doudou Diouf calmly buried the game-winning goal at 94:58 to lead No. 5/1 Connecticut past Dartmouth on Friday night at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. Dartmouth forced overtime with the game-tying goal with just five seconds remaining in regulation.

Connecticut improved to 2-0 on the season while Dartmouth dropped to 0-1. Sophomore Allando Matheson finished with a goal and an assist off the bench. Diouf notched his second goal of the season and senior defender Max Wasserman tallied his first assist of the year.

A goal from Matheson at 54:35 seemed to be the game-winner as the clock wound down in the final seconds before Dartmouth senior Brad Jacobson headed home the equalizer with just five seconds remaining to stun the crowd of 3,705.

Connecticut responded in fashion with Diouf's goal 4:58 into the first overtime session.

Matheson collected the ball at the top of the box, shielding the ball from his defender, before sliding a pass back to Diouf. The BIG EAST Preseason Offensive Player of the Year finished into the bottom right corner for his second game-winning goal in as many matches.

"All thanks go to Allando. It was a great play by him," said Diouf. "All the credit goes right to him. He set it all up. I just did my job as the forward."

"Allando really changed the game for us tonight," said Head Coach Ray Reid. "Not just the goal and the assist, but he brought some real energy into the game right away."

The Huskies started to take control in the midfield midway through the first half. Sophomore Adria Beso created an excellent scoring opportunity in the 33rd minute with a well-placed through ball for Matheson on the right side of the box. Matheson's shot from eight yards out was blocked by a diving Dartmouth defender.



UConn's best chance of the opening half came off the foot of Carlos Alvarez in the 41st minute. Beso sent a cross from the right side to the far post where Alvarez hit a volley with his left foot off the bottom of the left post.

UConn ended the half with a 10-2 edge in shots.

Matheson started the second half and was dangerous with his first touch, turning on his defender in the box and firing a shot low that was saved by Cohen.

Connecticut continued to possess and scored the game's opening goal on a set piece at 54:25. Diouf was fouled 25 yards out on the left side. Max Wasserman bent a ball towards the penalty spot for Matheson who headed down into the bottom left corner for the go-ahead goal.

Dartmouth had two semi-chances following the goal but Connecticut responded with a 15-minute stretch of possession in the midfield

Diouf turned his defender and hit a left-footed shot that screamed wide of the left post in the 75th minute. Dartmouth responded with a shot wide from inside the box by Alex Adelabu in the 79th minute.

The Big Green's best chance of the game prior to the equalizer came in the 81st minute with a long-range shot from Alberto Gorini that hit off the left post.

UConn will play its first road match of the season at Michigan State on Monday, September 3. That came will begin at 1 p.m.