Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Plays to Scoreless Draw with Quinnipiac on Monday night

Kwame Awuah put three shots on goal in the Huskies' scoreless draw on Monday.

Aug. 31, 2015

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

STORRS, Conn. - Competing in front of a sellout crowd, the UConn men's soccer team played to a scoreless draw with in-state rival Quinnipiac on Monday night at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. With the tie, UConn moves to 0-0-2 in the 2015 campaign, while Quinnipiac stands at 0-1-1.

Connecticut owned a 12-to-5 shot advantage and also held a 5-to-1 edge on corner kick attempts throughout the 110-minute match. With the shutout, UConn extended its scoreless streak to 687-consecutive minutes, dating back to last October.

Redshirt-sophomore goalkeeper Scott Levene picked up his sixth-straight shutout, while former Husky Triston Henry made six saves in the net for the Bobcats throughout the contest. Levene now boasts shutouts in 10 of 13 career starts.

The Huskies' first chances of the game came in the seventh minute when the squad earned back-to-back corners but the Bobcats swarmed the ensuing set piece and knocked the ball away from danger.

In the 35th minute, junior captain Jake Nerwinski connected on a long lob pass to Kwame Awuah, who sent in a shallow cross that sailed just over the head of redshirt-sophomore defender Andrew Geres.

In the final minute of play in the first 45, junior transfer Sebastian Brems received a pass at the top of the box and pulled the trigger but his attempt sailed over the crossbar. In total, Connecticut outshot the Bobcats, 5-to-1, in the first period of action.

Awuah put a shot on frame from 20 yards out early in the second half, forcing a diving save from Henry. With 15 minutes left in regulation, Jonsson picked off a ill-advised Bobcat pass in the attacking zone and collided with a Bobcat defender as the ball squirted just right of the frame.

At the 84-minute mark, Zuniga took a cross from freshman forward Abdou Mbacke Thiam and fired toward the net but his shot was blocked.

The Huskies nearly ended the game in the 103rd minute when Jonsson collected a loose ball at the top of the box and put one on target but Henry made a diving save to preserve the tie.

UConn moves to 1-0-2 all-time against Quinnipiac.

The Huskies finish off a three-game homestand on Friday, Sept. 4 when they welcome Dartmouth to Morrone Stadium for a 7 p.m. kickoff.