Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 14 UConn Falls, 2-0, to Louisville on Friday

Scott Levene made a season-best five saves in a Friday night setback
Sept. 2, 2016

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. - The No. 14 UConn men's soccer team fell, 2-0, to former conference foe Louisville on Friday night in front of a crowd of over 4,300 at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. With the setback, Connecticut drops to 2-1-0 while Louisville improves to 2-0-1.

UConn, which was riding a seven-match home-winning streak dating back to October of 2015, moves to 4-3-1 all-time against the Cardinals in a series dating back to 2005.

The Cardinals got onto the board in the opening minute when Mohamed Thiaw grabbed a loose ball in the box and slipped a shot into the right corner of the net for his second goal of the year. Louisville doubled up the lead 29 minutes later when Tate Schmitt collected a rebound in front of the net and finished from three yards out. Romilo Hernandez was credited with an assist on the scoring play.

In the net, redshirt-junior Scott Levene (Stamford, Conn.) took the loss, allowing both scores while making a season-best five saves. His counter, Stefan Cleveland, made one save in the Cardinal victory.

In the 10th minute, Abdou Mbacke Thiam (Dakar, Senegal) found space at the top left corner of the box but pushed a right-footed shot over the crossbar. In the 43rd minute, Alex Sanchez (Corona, Calif.) lobbed in a cross that nearly found the head of Thiam before Cleveland rose high to secure the ball.



Jake Nerwinski (Lawrenceville, N.J.) put a shot on goal in the 58th minute, sending in a curling left-footed attempt that was grabbed by the keeper.

Levene kept the deficit at two in the 80th minute, diving to his left and getting a glove on a low attempt by Thiaw.

The Huskies held a 2-to-0 corner kick advantage throughout the 90-minute match.

Connecticut wraps up its four-match homestand on Monday, Sept. 5 when it welcomes Cornell to Morrone Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.