Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 21 UConn Falls to Wake Forest, 2-1, In Overtime

Cyle Larin scored his third goal of the season in the setback.
Sept. 5, 2014

Final Stats

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - University of Connecticut sophomore forward Cyle Larin (Brampton, Ontario) registered his third goal of the season in a losing effort for the No. 21 UConn men’s soccer team, which fell to Wake Forest, 2-1, in overtime on Friday night at Spry Stadium.

Larin put UConn (1-2) on the board first for the third straight match in the 3rd minute, as the Huskies scored before the 8th minute for the third consecutive game this season. Connecticut forward Ethan Vanacore-Decker (Manahawkin, N.J.) threaded a beautiful through ball towards Larin, who took a few dribbles before firing a shot near the top of the box that flew past Wake Forest goalkeeper Alec Ferrell. The goal was Larin’s sixth score in the past six matches for the Huskies, dating back to last season.

The Demon Deacons  broke through in the 35th minute, scoring off a free kick from about 30 yards away. Wake Forest forward Michael Gamble’s ball in found a streaking Jared Odenbeck in the box, and the Demon Deacon defender was able to deflect the pass off his foot and past UConn redshirt goalkeeper Jacob Wagmeister (River Edge, N.J.) to even the match at one.

The two teams headed to overtime after neither found the back of the net in the 90 minutes of regulation, and in the 92nd minute, Wake Forest tallied the game-winner on a give-and-go. Demon Deacon midfielder Ricky Greensfielder found Gamble near the top of the box, and the forward tapped it back to Greensfielder, who finished the ball past Wagmeister. 



The Huskies had a chance to regain the lead in the 42nd minute when senior captain midfielder Adria Beso Marco (Lleida, Spain) found senior midfielder Edir DaGraca (Sao Nicolau, Cape Verdes Island) deep inside the box near the right side. DaGraca gathered the pass and sent in a great pass to senior forward Allando Matheson (North York, Ontario), in the center of the box, but Matheson was unable to clear much space, and his shot missed wide left.

Neither team produced a quality scoring opportunity in the opening 15 minutes of the second period before Larin saw a chance to give Connecticut the lead in the 61st minute. Wagmeister’s long goal kick found Larin near the top of the box, and the UConn forward dribbled towards the right and took a shot that was saved by a diving Ferrell. The ensuing Connecticut corner kick was unable to threaten the Wake Forest defense and the danger was cleared.

In the 72nd minute, Matheson sent a great cross into sophomore defender Jakob Nerwinski (Lawrenceville, N.J.) directly in front of the goal following a Connecticut free kick, but Nerwinski’s shot off the pass missed high above the goal. Wagmeister recorded a career-high six saves in the loss.

The Huskies continue road play on Friday, Sept. 12 when they face No. 4 Washington. The match, set for 10:30 p.m. ET, will be streamed live on the PAC 12 Network.