Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 3 Huskies Blank Tulsa Away, 1-0

Mamadou Doudou Diouf has five goals in his last three games.

Sept. 9, 2011

Box Score

UConn 1, Tulsa 0 Get Acrobat Reader

STORRS, Conn. - No. 3 Connecticut men's soccer hit the road for the first time in 2011 and defeated Tulsa, 1-0, in the second game of the Hurricane Classic held in Tulsa, Okla. Sophomore Mamadou Doudou Diouf netted his fifth goal in the past three games to give UConn the first road victory of the season. Freshman goalkeeper Andre Blake recorded three saves to earn his second shutout of the season.

The result earned UConn coach Ray Reid his 350th career victory.  By winning percentage, Ray Reid (.769 as the start of the 2011 season) ranks second among active coaches behind Akron’s Caleb Porter (.841 at the start of the 2011 season).  Porter is in just his sixth year as a head coach.

In a physical contest with both teams picking up yellow cards, the Huskies entered a hostile environment and held the hosting Tulsa Hurricanes to just three shots on net.

Diouf netted the game winner in the 25th minute off a well-placed feed from junior captain Stephane Diop.

The Huskies generated their first quality chance in the 12th minute with senior Tony Casciobending a shot towards the far post in traffic that went just wide.

Diouf was a constant threat in the opening 45 minutes and nearly opened the scoring in the 24th minute with a crafty individual effort to beat a player at the top of the box, but his shot went wide.

The Huskies and Diouf finally broke through in the 25th minute. Diop sent a ball from the left side into the middle of the box that Diouf lifted under the bar from four out for his fifth goal of the season.

Connecticut went into the half ahead, 1-0. The Huskies held a 4-3 edge in shots with both teams generating one shot on goal.

Blake made his top save of the night in the opening minutes of the second half on a shot from Abe Matamoros from inside the box. The freshman keeper has allowed just two goals on the year, leading Connecticut to a perfect 4-0 record.

Tulsa had a quality chance in the 89th minute but a free kick from 25 yards out by Tony Rocha was blasted over the net. The Huskies road out the remaining time and came away with their second shutout of the season.

For the game, Tulsa held a 7-6 edge in shots, including a 3-2 edge in shots on goal.

UConn will face SMU on Sunday at Noon. The Mustangs defeated Oakland, 4-1, earlier in the day in the opening game of the Hurricane Classic. UConn last faced Southern Methodist in the 2000 NCAA Semifinals. The Huskies blanked SMU, 2-0, before winning the program's third National Championship.

Fans can listen to Sunday's game live on or 91.7 fm.