Skip to main content Skip to footer
Leeman, Geres Tally in UConn's 2-1 Road Win at Harvard

Andrew Geres tallied a career-high three points in UConn's 2-1 win over Harvard on Thursday.

Sept. 10, 2015

Final Stats

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - A pair of late second-half goals scored by Connecticut natives Tyler Leeman and Andrew Geres propelled the UConn men's soccer team to a 2-1 win over Harvard on Thursday afternoon at newly-renamed Jordan Field in Cambridge, Mass. With the win, the Huskies improve to 1-0-3, while the Crimson slide to 0-2-1.

Geres tallied the Huskies' first goal of the season in the 82nd minute, collecting a loose ball in the box on a cross by junior co-captain Jake Nerwsinki and sending it in the middle of the net. The goal marked the first career point for the redshirt-sophomore, who was playing in his 15th game in a Husky uniform. Nerwinski was credited with his ninth career assist on the scoring play.

After Harvard knotted the match up at one just a minute later, Leeman played the role of the hero when notched his first career goal, taking a pass from Geres on the left side of the box and putting in a shot into the bottom left corner of an empty net. The two Husky goals came just 2:06 apart.



All six of UConn's shots were put on goal, including four in the final 45 minutes of play. Additionally, the victory extended Connecticut's unbeaten streak to 11-straight, dating back to the 2014 campaign.

Redshirt-sophomore keeper Scott Levene grabbed his first win of 2015 in the net, thwarting nine Crimson corner attempts during the 90-minute match.

UConn held a 2-to-0 shot advantage in the first 45 minutes of play. The squad's best chance came in the waning moments of the opening period when freshman forward Fredrik Jonsson received the ball at the top of the box and cut to his left before putting a shot on target that was knocked away by Harvard keeper Evan Mendez.

At the 65-minute mark, Nerwinski started a counter attack and took the ball toward the right flank before laying off a pass to Cheikh Stephane Coly, who fired in a cross that was headed out of the box.

The team has a great chance in the 74th minute when junior Sebastian Brems laid off a pass to Jonsson in the box. The freshman slid and put a shot on goal that bounced off Mendez and nearly squirted in before the keeper was able to dive on it to end the threat.

The Huskies return home to Joseph J. Morrone Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 13 when they play host to UC Santa Barbara. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.