Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 4 Men's Soccer Ties No. 9 Saint Louis 0-0 in Double Overtime
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss
- The University of Connecticut men's soccer team ended a hard fought game against Saint Louis University in a 0-0 tie in double overtime on Saturday night at Robert R. Hermann Stadium.


With the result, the Huskies, who played without three of their starters, move their record to 2-0-3 on the season. The Billikens' also go to 2-0-3 on the year.


UConn entered tonight's game ranked seventh in the NSCAA/adidas Poll and fourth in both the Soccer Times and Soccer America Polls. Saint Louis entered the game with an identical record to the Huskies as they are 17th in the NSCAA/adidas Poll, 13th in Soccer Times and ninth by Soccer America.


In the first half of play, with 26:05 on the clock, senior O'Brian White (Scarborough, Ont.) had a good look from the top of the box but missed wide left of Saint Louis goalkeeper, Pat Disbennett. At 36:34, the Billikens' Brandon Barklage fired a shot at goal but was shutdown by UConn goalkeeper Josh Ford (Liverpool, N.Y.). White attacked again at 38:29 as he found an opening between the Billiken defenders but his shot hit the cross bar, just off target.


In the 64th minute of play, Alex Johnston took a shot over the UConn defense, which headed to the top right corner of the net but a jumping Ford made a great save to keep the game tied at zero. It was the BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week's (Sept.8) third save of the game and 15th of the season.


At the end of regulation the game remained scoreless as Ford picked up three saves in the first 90 minutes of play.


After a foul called on UConn, Barklage failed on an free kick opportunity as the line drive ball was blocked by the UConn defense. The Huskies kept battling as White stayed aggressive beating the Saint Louis defenders to the ball. He was able to fire a shot at 98:16 but it was blocked by the Billikens on the far right side of the field.


Akeem Priestley (Kingston, Jamaica) took a shot on goal at the start of the second overtime period but a diving save by Disbennett took the goal away from the UConn midfielder. Priestley earned the shot after a foul was called 10 yards from the 18-yard box on a Billiken defender.


With 4:10 left on the clock, Barklage was able to break free of the UConn defenders and sent a shot towards the net but Ford made another diving save for his fourth of the game.


The Huskies recorded their fourth shutout of the season, raising Ford's career tally to 18. Ford made four saves in the non-conference tie as UConn has allowed just one goal this season. The Huskies also kept the Billikens scoreless in 110:00 minutes of play, a team in which averages 2.75 goals per game.


UConn will return to action on Friday, Sept. 19 as the Huskies begin BIG EAST Conference play at Morrone Stadium with a 7:30 p.m. match-up against Louisville.