Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Drops Match Against No. 10 Washington, 3-1

Cyle Larin has scored seven goals in UConn's last seven games, dating back to last season.
Sept. 13, 2014

Final Stats

SEATTLE, Wash. - The University of Connecticut men's soccer team fell to No. 10 Washington, 3-1, on the road Friday night at Husky Soccer Stadium despite another early goal from sophomore forward Cyle Larin (Brampton, Ontario). UConn falls to 1-3 with the loss, while Washington improves to 3-1 in 2014.

Larin again opened the scoring for the Huskies, netting his team-leading fourth goal of the season in the 7th minute. The Connecticut striker took advantage of a miscue by the Washington defense, as he intercepted a back pass and ripped a shot that sailed pass Husky goalkeeper Spencer Richey. Larin has now scored seven goals in Connecticut's last seven matches, dating back to last season, and all four of his scores this season have come in the first eight minutes.

Washington evened the match in the 14th minute when forward Mason Robertson created some space near the left side of the box and placed a shot into the top right corner of the Connecticut goal past UConn redshirt junior goalkeeper Jacob Wagmeister (River Edge, N.J.). Less than 10 minutes later, Robertson gave the Huskies the lead, as his header off a cross from forward Josh Heard found the back of the net in the 22nd minute.

The Huskies of Washington added to their lead in the 63rd minute, scoring once again on a header. Heard was on the receiving end of the goal this time, as Washington forward Darwin Jones' cross into the box from the left side connected with Heard, who flicked the ball on past Wagmeister to give the Huskies a 3-1 advantage.

UConn, which put two shots on goal in the first half, had a great chance to square the match at two in the 29th minute on the counter attack. Senior midfielder Adria Beso Marco (Lleida, Spain) pushed the ball into the attacking third, where he found Larin, who charged towards the Washington goal before finding sophomore midfielder Kwame Awuah (Toronto, Ontario) near the top of the box. Awuah fired the ball towards net, but his shot missed wide left and the danger was cleared.

Connecticut's best scoring opportunity in the second half came in the 60th minute when Larin found sophomore forward Ethan Vanacore-Decker (Manahawkin, N.J.) in transition. Larin deposited the ball to Vanacore-Decker near the top of the Washington box, and the Connecticut forward gathered the ball before bending a shot that was saved by Richey.

Wagmeister finished the game with three saves for the Huskies, who were outshot 13-6 for the match. Washington held a 6-2 advantage on corner kicks over Connecticut, which has scored first in each of its four matches this season.

UConn returns to the pitch on Sunday in the team's first ever meeting with Seattle University. The match, set for 4 p.m. ET, will be broadcasted live by NSCAA TV.