Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 2 Men's Soccer Outlasts Boston University, 1-0

Allando Matheson was the most dangerous player on the field tonight.

Sept. 16, 2011

Box Score

The No. 2/2 UConn men's soccer team continued its four-game road trip and defeated Boston University in Boston, Mass. 1-0. Freshman Allando Matheson scored the first goal of his career to lead the Huskies. Freshman Andre Blake made three saves to earn the victory. Connecticut improves to 6-0 while Boston University dropped to 1-4.

The UConn defense (Nickardo Blake, Andrew Jean-Baptiste, Michael Mercado, Max Wasserman) has been sensational in the opening six games of 2011. The Huskies have allowed just two goals and have now recorded three-straight shutouts, all away from Storrs. The UConn record for consecutive clean sheets is eight, held by the 2009 squad.

The Terriers kept possession at the start of the contest, utilizing the fast pace of the home turf for the opening seven minutes.

Blake made the save of the first half from 10 yards out in the 15th minute. BU forward Ben Berube took a pass in the right side of the box and fired a hard shot headed for the lower left corner. Blake was able to drop down and make a right-handed save to keep the game scoreless.

The Huskies settled down and began to possess the ball throughout the midfield halfway through the opening half.

UConn's best chance of the half came off the head of Andrew Jean-Baptiste. Carlos Alvarez hit a corner from the right side in the 33rd minute, lined into the six-yard box. Baptiste found space alone but his header went over the bar for a goal kick.



At the end of the first half, UConn held a slight edge in shots, 4-3. A physical first half saw Boston University tally nine fouls compared to just two from the Huskies.

The Huskies increased the creativity in the second half and nearly opened the scoring in the 65th minute. A quick succession of passes in the midfield led to a back-heel pass from freshman Allando Matheson at the top of the box to Colin Bradley. Bradley's one-time shot headed to the right corner was saved by the BU keeper.

Matheson created yet again in the 68th minute, taking a pass at the top of the box and shielding the ball from a pair of defenders. BU goalkeeper Nick Thomson saved the shot from 15 yards out and the resulting corner was cleared away, keeping the score at 0-0.

Alvarez hit a one-time volley from the top of the box in the 77th minute that went wide as well.

Matheson, dangerous from the moment he stepped on the field, finally broke the deadlock, burying a shot from the 10 yards out into the lower left corner in the 79th minute. After receiving a pass from Tony Cascio at the top of the box, Matheson turned on his defender in the right side of the box and calmly placed his shot into the left side of the frame for his first collegiate goal.

Connecticut continued to pressure BU in the second half, including an individual effort from Cascio that resulted in a shot from the right side that went high.

The Huskies finished the game with a 13-7 edge in shots.

UConn will complete the final game of a four-game road stretch at Boston College on Tuesday, September 20 in Boston, Mass. The Huskies then return home to face longtime rival No. 14 St. John's on Saturday, September 24 at 7:30 p.m.