Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Soccer Wins Third-Straight, Tops Temple, 1-0

Abdou Mbacke Thiam registered his fourth goal in three games on Saturday

Sept. 24, 2016

Final Stats |  Quotes

STORRS, Conn. - Sophomore Abdou Mbacke Thiam (Dakar, Senegal) scored for the fourth time in three matches, while the Connecticut defense posted its third shutout of the 2016 season as the UConn men's soccer team downed Temple, 1-0, to open American Athletic Conference play on Saturday in front of 4,159 fans at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. With the victory, the Huskies push their winning streak to three-straight and move to 6-3-0, while Temple drops to 5-3-0 overall.

With the win, UConn improves to 5-0-3 all-time against Temple and has outscored its conference foe, 7-to-0, in the last three meetings between the programs.

Thiam put the Huskies up, 1-0, in the 64th minute, heading home an inswinging corner attempt off the foot of senior tri-captain Kwame Awuah (Toronto, Ont.). Connecticut owns a perfect 5-0-0 record in 2016 when Thiam finds the back of the net.

Redshirt-junior Scott Levene (Stamford, Conn.) shined during the 90-minute match, making five saves en route to his sixth victory of the year, while Owls keeper Alex Cagle took the loss despite stopping four Husky shots.

Levene preserved the tie in the seventh minute, coming off his line to make a sliding save on an attempt by Belal Mohamed.

The Huskies had a chance in the 17th minute when Awuah laid a pass off to Dylan Greenberg (Dix Hills, N.Y.) at the top of the box. The Husky sophomore charged into the box and fired a cross that was blocked out for a goal kick.

In the 28th minute, Awuah earned the game's first corner of the game, blasting a shot on target that was turned away by the hand of Cagle. Six minutes later, Thiam nearly put the Huskies up, 1-0, after firing a left-footed attempt from 10 yards out.

The Huskies' best chance of the opening half came in the 39th minute when Niko Petridis (Norwalk, Conn.) slid in a centering pass to a cutting Alex Sanchez (Corona, Calif.), who ripped a shot on goal that was saved.

Andrew Geres (Portland, Conn.) had a look in the 62nd minute, attempting a 20-yard shot from the top of the box that sailed over the crossbar.

UConn returns to the pitch on Wednesday, Sept. 28 when it travels to Providence for a non-conference tilt. A complete match preview will be available on on Monday afternoon.