Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 2/5 Men's Soccer Defeats Syracuse 1-0 in Double Overtime
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss
- A header by senior O'Brian White (Scarborough, Ont.) in the 101st minute led the No. 2/5 University of Connecticut men's soccer team over Syracuse 1-0 in double overtime on Sunday afternoon at the Syracuse Soccer Stadium. The win marks the Huskies' third BIG EAST Conference win this season.


White connected for his team-leading fourth goal of the year 23 seconds into the second overtime period as he finished on a cross from the side of the box from fellow senior Akeem Priestley (Kingston, Jamaica) to give the Huskies' the 1-0 conference victory.


UConn goalkeeper Josh Ford (Liverpool, N.Y.) finished the 100:23 minutes with six saves, tying his season-high tally (Sept. 21 vs. Cincinnati). Ford made some key saves in today's contest, including a stellar stop in the 75th minute, as the Orange's Geoff Lythe had an open look at the net but the UConn keeper was able to halt his chance of scoring.


To start off the game, freshman Tony Casio (Gilbert, Ariz.), who made his second career start for the Huskies in today's contest, started things off with a shot in the fifth minute of play, just missing wide of the goal. Casio later drilled the ball towards the box but the Orange defense was able to record a block. White continued to beat defenders down the field despite being double or triple teamed around the 18-yard box. The senior captain connected on six shots on goal including back to back shots in the 64th and 65th minutes of play but Cavicchia was able to get his gloves on the ball and keep the game scoreless.


Ford had great coverage of the net en route to his sixth shutout of the season as he and the UConn defense prevented the Orange, a team in which averages 1.29 goals per game, from scoring.


UConn had an opportunity to take the first lead of the game 1:47 into the second period as junior Mike Pezza (Jackson, N.J.) beat the Orange defenders to the ball but sent his shot high of the target.


After the scoreless regulation, UConn attacked the Orange defense as White's leaping header was snatched out of the air by Caviacchia in the 94th minute. Again, White was led up the field and took a shot on goal but was stopped short by Caviacchia. With the time ticking down on the first overtime period, Syracuse had two key opportunities to score as Kyle Hall sent a shot towards the net but the UConn defenders were able to get in the way and alter the direction of the ball. With 98:41 on the clock a header by the Orange's Karol Wasrelewski hit the near post, just missing a diving Ford in goal, sending the game into double overtime with the Huskies scoring at 100:23 to win the game.


The Huskies' record improves to 5-1-3 on the year and 3-1-0 in the BIG EAST. Syracuse falls to 5-2-2 overall and 2-2-0 in conference play.


UConn will return to Storrs, Conn. to take on West Virginia on Friday, Oct. 3 at Morrone Stadium. Friday night's game will be televised on the Fox Soccer Channel live at 8:00 p.m. The Huskies will collect used or new soccer balls from those attending the BIG EAST match-up for Kick for NickTM, a Connecticut-based, non-profit organization started in memory of Wilton native Nick Madaras that collects soccer balls to send to children in Iraq. 


Live statistics and video via the web for the conference game can be accessed through while live audio can be found at



- UCONN -