Skip to main content Skip to footer
Petridis' Goal Pushes UConn Past Tulsa

Andrew Geres was a part of the strong UConn defense on Friday (PC: Steve Slade).
Sept. 29, 2017

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. – The UConn men’s soccer team recorded a key win in American Athletic Conference play on Friday night, outlasting Tulsa, 1-0, at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium behind the finishing ability of sophomore Niko Petridis.

The Huskies (5-2-2, 2-0-0 American), who are now riding a three-match winning streak, scored in the 53rd minute when Petridis received a pass from freshman Blaise N’Gague and broke away down the left sideline – sending a shot into the far corner of the net.

Not only did the win signify UConn’s second-straight conference victory, nor just its sixth-consecutive result without a loss, but also a special night for Petridis – who celebrated his birthday on Friday.

Petridis almost scored again in the 55th minute on a similar play, streaking down the far sideline, but fired a shot high over the crossbar. The Huskies outshot the Golden Hurricane, 8-7, while holding a 4-2 edge in corner kicks.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Scott Levene made big saves all night for UConn, including a one-on-one stop of Kay Duit’s shot in the 32nd minute. He ended with three saves and posted his third-straight shutout in net.

The game was broadcast on the American Digital Network and the Huskies came to play, as the defense led by redshirt sophomore Nkosi Burgess allowed Tulsa just seven shots – half its average per game this season.

Freshman Josh Burnett had a good chance to add an insurance goal for UConn in the 81st minute off a pass from Petridis, but Tulsa goalkeeper Marcel Da Silva made a diving save to keep it 1-0.

Junior captain Abdou Mbacke Thiam recorded two shots within the first 18 minutes of the game, but was unable to capitalize. His scoring streak of four-consecutive games ended, despite his game-high three shots on Friday.

The Huskies have six points in conference play – good for first place in the American before Saturday’s action. It is the second straight season that UConn has begun league play with a pair of victories.

No. 1/3 Maryland awaits for Monday night’s match at Morrone Stadium, as the Huskies look to finish their three-game, six-day stretch by upsetting the Terps. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. (ET).

“We’ll be ready,” said head coach Ray Reid of the quick turnaround. “It’s a great opportunity for our guys to play a team like Maryland. We’ll be ready. We’re seeing a good team develop right before our eyes.”