Huskies Win Third Straight with 1-0 Victory Over Georgetown

    UCONNHUSKIESDOTCOM Tony Cascio leads the Huskies with eight points in 2009 on three goals and two assists.
    Tony Cascio leads the Huskies with eight points in 2009 on three goals and two assists.

    Oct. 3, 2009


    Final Stats |  Photo Gallery   |  Video  | Game Highlights

    Box Score (.pdf) Get Acrobat Reader



    STORRS, Conn. - Sophomore Tony Cascio earned his third goal of the season as he scored the game winning goal in the 56th minute of play to lead the No. 22 University of Connecticut men's soccer team over 13th-ranked Georgetown 1-0 on Saturday night at Morrone Stadium.

    In front of the Huskies' second largest crowd of the season at 4,374 fans, UConn recorded its third straight victory to improve its overall record on the season to 5-2-2 and 4-1 in BIG EAST Conference action. With the win, the Huskies also move to 10-1-1 against the Hoyas, while playing on their home field

    Cascio netted his fifth career goal on assists from freshmen Carlos Alvarez and Stephane DIOP, as they both used good field awareness to find Cascio a yard outside of the goal box, in perfect position to give the Huskies the lead and eventual win.

    The Huskies also registered their third straight shutout after defeating St. John's 1-0 before downing Syracuse 2-0 in BIG EAST play last weekend. Josh Ford and his UConn defense limited the Hoyas to just six shots on the night, including one shot on goal, which Ford was able to get his hands on for his only save of the contest.

    UConn controlled the ball for a majority of the first half but stepped it up in the second half and played more aggressively as the Huskies held a 15-6 shot advantage.

    From the start of the game, Alvarez had some good looks at the net as he got a foot on a cross from Cruz Hernandez that deflected off of a Georgetown defender but his shot from the top of the box in the sixth minute was blocked by another Hoya defender. After a Cruz Hernandez shot in the 10th minute missed high, Alvarez recorded back-to-back shots as his first attempt from 10 yards out hit off the chest of Georgetown's Mark Wilber in net. The freshman had another chance as the rebound from the Wilber save found Alvarez but his bicycle kick from 15 yards out was saved by the Hoyas' goalkeeper.

    In the 38th minute, Hernandez' free kick opportunity was halted as a Georgetown defender was able to block the shot, but Hernandez continued to pressure the Georgetown midfield as he drilled a pass into the middle of the field in the final seconds of the first half that found Alan Ponce in front of the net in a one-on-one situation with Wilber but the junior's shot missed wide of the near post to keep the game knotted at zero after 45 minutes of play.

    The Huskies stepped up their intensity in the second half led by more aggressive play as senior Toni Stahl dribbled down field and made a solid pass to Ponce, who broke by two defenders to find himself in a one-on-one situation once again with Wilber but his shot missed high of the target.

    After a free kick by Georgetown was blocked by the Huskies in the 73rd minute, Cascio quickly pushed the ball up field and found freshman Max Wasserman whose first career shot was grabbed by Wilber in front of the net. DIOP also picked up his play for the UConn offense as he made an astonishing move to the net, dodging three defenders to get a shot off, but also missed high. Hernandez took his last shot on goal as he received a pass on the far side of the field from junior Greg King as his shot attempt missed just high of the crossbar.

    Wilber finished with four saves for the Hoyas, now 6-3-1 overall and 3-2-0 in the BIG EAST, while Ford registered one save on the one Georgetown shot on goal.

    UConn will host Providence (5-3-1) on Tuesday night, Oct. 6 at Morrone Stadium at 7:00 p.m. in the Huskies' fourth consecutive BIG EAST contest at home. Tuesday will be Student Appreciation Night as the first 100 students at the game will receive free pizza.