Skip to main content Skip to footer
Blake's Seven Saves Lead No. 2 Men's Soccer Past No. 3 Georgetown, 2-1

Andre Blake was sensational for UConn in Wednesday's 2-1 win at Georgetown.

Oct. 3, 2012

Box Score

UConn 2, Georgetown 1 Get Acrobat Reader

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The No. 2 University of Connecticut men's soccer team advanced to 10-0-1 (3-0-0 BIG EAST) and handed No. 3 Georgetown its first defeat of the season with a 2-1 victory in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday afternoon. Sophomore All-American Andre Blake(May Pen, Jamaica) made seven saves on the day to earn the result. Georgetown drops to 10-1-1 (2-1-0 BIG EAST).

UConn forwards Mamadou Doudou Diouf (Dakar, Senegal) and Allando Matheson(North York, Ontario) scored for Connecticut.

Georgetown finished with an 18-14 edge in shots, including an 8-6 edge in shots on goal.

"I thought this was a very good overall performance.  We didn't' have our A-game, but we were good enough on the day," said UConn Head Coach Ray Reid.  "That's a very good team. Very well coached and organized.  They're one of the best teams we've played all year.  We were very resilient and strong today."

Blake was sensational from the opening whistle, making six saves in a first half which saw Georgetown take the early momentum. The Hoyas outshot Connecticut in the opening 45 minutes, 12-6. Blake made several highlight saves to rob the BIG EAST's leading goal scorer, Brandon Allen, in the opening 20 minutes.

"He's the best goalkeeper in America.  Plain and simple," said Reid.  "He makes incredible saves and he makes them look easy.   We are very fortunate to have him here."

Allen had chances from straight on within 15 yards stopped in the 11th minute and the 15th, both denied with excellent diving saves to Blakes left at the far post.

The Huskies weathered the early pressure and opened the scoring with a free-kick goal from junior Mamadou Doudou Dioufat 38:17.

Georgetown keeper Keon Parsa committed a hand ball at the top of the box. With the Georgetown defense protesting the referee's decision and scrambling to set up a wall, Diouf took a quick restart and fired into the nearly empty net for his eighth goal of the season to tie Allen atop the BIG EAST leader board.

Minutes later, Blake made his third stop on Allen from inside the box, diving once again to his left and parrying the ball away from danger on a shot from 14 yards out.

Georgetown ended the half ahead on shots, 12-6, but the Huskies went into the locker room up on the scoreboard, 1-0.

Connecticut made it 2-0 off the head of Allando Matheson at 63:11. Max Wasserman sent a short corner kick to left back Flo Liuat the top left corner of the box. Liu's cross towards the penalty spot curled right to Matheson for a flick into the far post. It was Matheson's sixth goal of the season with Liu and Wasserman earning their first and fourth assists, respectively.

Parsa made a brilliant save to keep it 2-1 in the 78th minute, robbing Alvarez from what looked like a sure goal. With Parsa stationed on the left post, Alvarez took a pass from Diouf 14 yards out and fired towards the right side. Parsa dove clear across the goal line and robbed Alvarez and UConn of an insurance tally.

The Hoyas sent numbers forward in the remaining 12 minutes but the UConn defense held strong to secure the road victory.

Connecticut is in the midst of a three-game stretch against top-10 opponents which concludes at No. 9 Marquette on Saturday at 8 p.m. EST. That game can be heard at