Skip to main content Skip to footer
Greenberg And Levene Pace UConn To 1-0 Win at Memphis

Dylan Greenberg notched a 21st minute game-winning goal
Oct. 4, 2014

Final Stats

MEMPHIS – In a game of firsts for the UConn men’s soccer team, Dylan Greenberg’s first career goal supported Scott Levene to a shutout in his first career appearance as the Huskies defeated Memphis, 1-0, on Saturday night at Mike Rose Stadium. The win evens UConn’s American Athletic Conference record to 1-1-0 and pushes the Huskies to 3-5-1 overall, while Memphis falls to 0-1-1 in league action and 5-3-2 on the year.

Greenberg (Dix  Hills, N.Y.) scored off a corner kick in the 21st first minute and Levene (Stamford, Conn.) made four saves in goal to pace UConn. Memphis held a 13-9 edge in overall shots, but UConn out-shot UM 6-4 in shots on goal and out-gained the Tigers in corner kicks by a 4-1 margin.



The Tigers tested Levene quickly out of the gate, with the redshirt-freshman keeper lunging to make a diving save on a Fakhry Khulfan bid in the fifth minute. Adria Beso Marco (Lleida, Spain) recorded UConn’s first shot on goal, turned aside by UM keeper Cody Uzcategui in the 12th minute.

The Huskies got on the board less than ten minutes later, when Greenberg notched his first career tally off his own corner kick in the 21st minute. With the goal, Greenberg became the second freshman to find the back of the net this season, joining midfielder Cheikh Stephane Coly (Dakar, Senegal).

UConn kept up the pressure throughout the opening frame, generating three more corner kick chances in the periods that did not lead to goals. The Huskies’ best chance at the tail end of the first half came on a shot from Cyle Larin (Brampton, Ontario) that went just wide of the cage.

Ethan Vanacore-Decker (Manahawkin, N.J.) and Jakob Nerwinski (Lawrenceville, N.J.) each made bids for the Huskies in the early portion of the second half, but Uzcategui was there to make the save on both attempts. The Husky defense suffocated the Memphis attack in the second frame and held it to only two shots on target, with Levene capping the shutout with a save on a Raul Gonzales bid in the 83rd minute.

Up next, UConn continues conference action with a trip to Cincinnati on Wednesday, Oct. 8. Kick-off from Ohio is set for 7 p.m.