Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 2 Huskies Suffer First Loss At No. 9 Marquette, 3-2

Jossimar Sanchez scored for UConn tonight.

Oct. 6, 2012

Marquette 3, UConn 2 Get Acrobat Reader

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - The No. 2 University of Connecticut men's soccer team suffered its first loss of the season on Saturday night with a 3-2 defeat at the hands of No. 9 Marquette in Milwaukee, Wis. With the loss, UConn falls to 10-1-1 (3-1-0 BIG EAST) while Marquette remains one of two teams in the NCAA with a perfect record at 11-0-0 (3-0-0 BIG EAST).

Saturday marked the first time UConn has allowed three goals since a 3-0 defeat to Boston University in Storrs on September 5, 2009.

Two first-half goals for Marquette was the difference as the Huskies failed to recover the early deficit. Marquette had goals in the 32nd and 40th minutes to go into halftime up 2-0.

UConn cut the lead to 2-1 with a goal from senior captain Jossimar Sanchez at 70:22 before MU regained the two-goal lead at 81:05. Sophomore Adria Beso closed the gap to one yet again at 89:20 but it was too little too late.

Sophomore keeper Andre Blake finished with seven saves while Marquette's Charlie Lyon stopped five shots in the victory.

Connecticut's best chance of the opening 45 minutes came off a shot by Allando Matheson from inside the box in the 22nd minute. Matheson found space on the counter-attack but had his shot towards the left side denied with a great diving save by Lyon.

The Huskies fell behind for the first time all season with Marquette's opening goal to make it 1-0 at 32:00.

MU midfielder Islami Kelmend sent in a cross from the left side which found Adam Lysak inside the box. Lysak fired a low shot into the right side for the game's opening goal.

Mamadou Doudou Diouf had a shot in the 35th minute that went high.

The Golden Eagles made it 2-0 with a hard cross banged home from within 15 yards by Andy Huftalin at 39:55.

The Huskies had a chance to get one back in the 44th minute when Diouf was taken down just outside the box. UConn attempted a quick restart that was thwarted by the MU defense.

Marquette held a 9-4 edge in shots and a 3-1 advantage in corner kicks at halftime.

Marquette continued the pressure early in the second half with four corners in the opening four minutes forcing excellent saves from Blake to deny Huftalin in the 48th minute and Sebastian Jansson in the 49th.

Diouf had another shot for the Huskies at 55:27 from inside the box but his shot was ripped straight into the arms of Lyon.

The Huskies finally got one back at 70:22 off the foot of Sanchez. Sanchez outraced Marquette keeper Charlie Lyon to the ball at the top-left corner of the six-yard box and poked home his first goal of the season and the third of his career. Beso assisted on the tally, his third of the year.

Blake made another brilliant save at 71:46 to keep the score at 2-1, robbing Paul Dillon off a free kick from 25 yards out.

Marquette regained the two goal edge with Huftalin's second at 81:05. Beso tallied his first goal of the year with a shot from inside the box at 89:20.

Connecticut had one last chance in the final seconds but a free kick swerved in from Beso was cleared away as time expired.

UConn will host Iona in the final nonconference match of the season on Tuesday, October 9 at 7 p.m. in Storrs. Tickets are still available at or by calling 1-877-AT-UCONN. Tickets can also be purchased at Morrone Stadium an hour before the match.