Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 18 UConn Roars Past Cincinnati, 5-0

Kwame Awuah scored a pair of goals in the Huskies' 5-0 win on Saturday night
Oct. 8, 2016

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. – Coming off a seven-day layoff, the UConn men’s soccer team showed no signs of rust, rolling past American Athletic Conference foe Cincinnati, 5-0, in front of 3,401 fans on Saturday night at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. With the dominant victory, UConn extends its season-best winning streak to six-straight and improves to 9-3-0 overall with a 3-0-0 mark in league play. Cincinnati drops to 6-4-1 with the setback.

Connecticut improves to 3-2-3 all-time against Cincinnati in a series dating back to 1998.

With three second-half goals, UConn extends its goal advantage to 14-to-1 in the second half of play in 2016. Additionally, the team has outscored opponents, 15-to-2, over its six-match win streak.

The Huskies went up in the 25th minute, when Abdou Mbacke Thiam (Dakar, Senegal) collected a loose rebound in the box and finished into the bottom left corner of the net. On the scoring play, Jake Nerwinski (Lawrenceville, N.J.) and Cheikh Stephane Coly (Darak, Senegal) earned assists.

Less than eight minutes later, Connecticut pushed its advantage to 2-0 when Sebastian Brems (Odenese, Denmark) scored his first goal of the 2016 season, collecting a loose ball in the top of the box and putting in a right-footed attempt from 10 yards out.



At the 51:14 mark senior tri-captain Kwame Awuah (Toronto, Ont.), who came into the match eighth in the nation with six assists, took a long cross from Thiam in the box and beat Diaz on the near post for his first score of the year.

Simen Olafsen got into the mix at 58:32, heading in an inswinging corner attempt from Brems to push the lead to 4-0. Awuah capped off a stellar night less than eight minutes later, taking a pass from Nerwinski on the right flank and lacing a shot into the bottom left corner of the net.

Redshirt-junior keeper Scott Levene (Stamford, Conn.) stopped the only shot on frame, earning his fourth-straight shutout in the pipes, while Pedro Diaz took the loss after surrendering all five Husky tallies.

UConn out-shot the Bearcats, 10-to-0, in the opening half of the match and finished the 90-minute contest with a 15-to-2 shot advantage.

The Huskies had the first chance of the match in the sixth minute when Nerwinski lobbed in a cross to Alex Sanchez (Corona, Calif.), who settled the ball in the box but had his left-footed shot blocked by the centerback. Four minutes later, Thiam put a shot on goal that was saved by the outstretched glove of Diaz.

The Huskies return to action on Tuesday, Oct. 11 when they travel to in-state foe Yale for a 7 p.m. match. A complete game preview will be available on on Monday.