Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Men's Soccer Takes Home Second Straight Conference Win

Allando Matheson is second of the team with three goals after tonight's performance.

Oct. 12, 2013

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. – The University of Connecticut men’s soccer team got a pair of goals from junior Allando Matheson and a score from freshman Cyle Larin, as it cruised to a 3-0 victory over Memphis on Saturday night at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium in front of a crowd of 4,195. Connecticut won its second straight conference game and improved to 5-2-4 (2-0-3 The American). Memphis falls to 7-5-1 (2-3-0 The American).

Matheson’s second goal of the season was set up by a fantastic through-ball from midfielder Adria Beso. Beso sent the pass into the top-right corner box where Matheson turned and fired a low bouncer off his right foot that slipped by the hand of the Memphis keeper Cody Uzcategui to give UConn an early 1-0 advantage.

The Huskies doubled up their lead at the 70:53 mark, when a Memphis defender slipped in his defensive third. Cyle Larin quickly grabbed the loose ball and charged in from the right wing, firing a shot that was deflected by the keeper and into the back left corner of the net. It was Larin’s team-leading fourth goal of 2013.

Connecticut finished off a strong offensive night in the 80th minute, when Beso crossed the ball from the left wing into the box where Matheson got a head on it and sent it to the back of the net. It marked the first multi-goal performance of the year for any Husky player.

“I’ll tell you,” said 17th-year head coach Ray Reid, who earned his 386th career win. “That was typical Allando. He’s great in the air and he brings energy off the bench. He can change how we play, that’s for sure.”



The Huskies dominated the scoring chances in the first half, outshooting the Tigers 10-1 and forcing two saves by Uzcategui. UConn’s first chance came at the 15:48 mark when freshman forward Ethan Decker sent a cross from the right flank into Cyle Larin, who out-jumped the Memphis center back and headed a shot that was saved by Uzcategui’s fingertips.

With 16 minutes remaining in the first half, Matheson sent a shot that clanged off the far post and rebounded right to Edir DaGraca who one-timed a shot over the crossbar and into stands.

Memphis’ only scoring threat in the first 45 minutes came when Shane Keeley unleashed a high-rising shot from 35 yards out that sailed way over the crossbar and towards the Mark A. Shenkman Training Center.  

At the 66:50 mark, Decker took a free kick from 25 yards out that curled just wide of the far post.

Jacob Wagmeister earned his second victory and second shutout in as many games, thwarting multiple cross attempts from the Tiger offense.

“Look, Jacob’s played two college games and now has two shutouts. That’s not a fluke. He has played well for us the last two matches,” said Reid.  

On the night, Connecticut out-shot Memphis 17-2, including a 6-0 edge in shots-on-goal.

Defenders Kareem Morad and Will Noiset saw action for the second time this season, subbing into the game late in the second half.

The Huskies have a quick turnaround, as they host non-conference foe, Columbia, on Tuesday, October 15th at Morrone Stadium at 7 p.m.  Tickets can be purchased by calling 1-877-AT-UCONN.