Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Dropped By No. 2 Syracuse, 4-0, On Tuesday

Ethan Vanacore-Decker logged three shots in Tuesday's loss to Syracuse.
Oct. 14, 2014

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. – The UConn men’s soccer team fell to No. 2 Syracuse, 4-0, Tuesday night at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. The Orange received goals from four different players as they improved to 12-1-0 this season, while the Huskies dropped to 4-6-2 overall on the year with the loss.

Syracuse took control of the match out of the break, scoring three times in the first 14 minutes of the second half. Goals by Syracuse midfielder Chris Nanco and defender Tyler Hilliard made it 2-0 before defender Skylar Thomas notched his second goal of the season to put the game out of reach.

Thomas’s goal came off a rebound from Hilliard’s header on net after the Orange were awarded another corner in the 58th minute. Syracuse, who finished the match with seven corners, added one more goal in the 81st minute when Noah Rhynhart tallied his first score of the season.

Neither offense was able to get going early, as the two teams combined for just one shot on goal in the first half. Connecticut saw two quality scoring chances in the opening stages, starting in the 9th minute on a free kick by UConn sophomore forward Ethan Vanacore-Decker (Manahawkin, N.J.). The Connecticut striker’s shot flew past the Syracuse wall towards net, where it hit directly off the post and out for a goal kick.

In the 38th minute, a Husky corner kick found senior defender Sergio Campbell (Clarendon, Jamaica), and the team captain headed a shot on that missed wide left. The remainder of the first half didn’t see another scoring threat and the teams headed into the locker rooms scoreless.



UConn finished the match with 11 shots, none of which required a save by Syracuse goalkeeper Alex Bono. Connecticut redshirt freshman goalkeeper Scott Levene (Stamford, Conn.) finished the contest with two saves for the Huskies, who saw their streak of games with a shutout end at three.

Connecticut returns to action on Saturday when it resumes conference play against Central Florida. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.