Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Fall to BC in Double OT

Austin DaSilva scored his second goal of the season at Boston College (PC: Steve Slade).
Oct. 17, 2017

Final Stats

NEWTON, Mass. – Junior captain Abdou Mbacke Thiam and freshman Austin DaSilva both scored goals on Tuesday night, but the UConn men’s soccer team fell in double overtime to Boston College, 3-2, at the Newton Campus Lacrosse and Soccer Field.  

The Huskies (7-4-2, 4-0-0 American) held a 2-0 lead in the 78th minute, but a pair of late goals by the Eagles sent the game into overtime. In the 104th minute, BC’s Callum Johnson scored the game-winner, beating redshirt senior goalie Scott Levene to the right corner.

UConn’s two-game winning streak was snapped in the loss, as the team ends its three-game road stretch with a 2-1-0 record.

Early in the second overtime, freshman Nicolas Apostol fired a shot on goal that was saved by Boston College goalkeeper Antonio Chavez Borrelli in the 101st minute. With replay from ACC Network Extra, a BC defender got away with a handball in the box to keep the game tied.

Minutes later, Johnson buried a shot from the edge of the box to give the Eagles a 3-2 comeback victory. Levene made six saves in the game, while BC racked up 21 shots throughout the contest.

Levene made a pair of key saves in the first overtime, including one in the 93rd minute off a header by a BC striker. Earlier in the day, Levene was named to the Team of the Week for holding a conference-best seven shutouts this season.

The Huskies held a 2-1 edge late in the game, but a goal in the 90th minute by the Eagles’ Joshua Forbes tied the game – putting UConn in its fifth overtime game of the season.

DaSilva scored his second-career goal in the 78th minute when stepping in front of a pass back to Borrelli, finishing in front of an uncontested net to put the Huskies ahead, 2-0. DaSilva recorded two shots in his appearance off the bench.

BC’s leading scorer Simon Enstrom scored in the 80th minute, cutting the UConn lead in half at the time when he buried a shot from the right side of the box. It was the first goal allowed by Levene in 283:03 minutes of play, dating back to the Maryland game on Oct. 2.

UConn had several chances to extend its lead in the second half, including a breakaway by sophomore midfielder Munir Saleh in the 63rd – who was forced wide by Borrelli and found Apostol in front for a header, which was narrowly saved.

In the 56th, sophomore Niko Petridis had a clean shot on goal in a one-on-one situation with Borrelli, who made a diving stop. The Eagles’ goalie made five saves in the game.

The Huskies held a 1-0 advantage at the half, with help from Thiam, when he scored his team-high ninth goal of the season in the ninth minute of the game. Apostol had a beautiful cross, which Thiam finished at the far post.

It is the second straight game that UConn has taken a lead within the first 10 minutes of play, following freshman Josh Burnett’s goal in the fourth minute at USF on Saturday.

For UConn, it is just the second loss in the last seven results, as the American Athletic Conference’s first-place team prepares to bounce back at home against UCF on Saturday night. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. (ET) at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.

General admission is SOLD OUT for the game, but a limited amount of reserved tickets remain available for Saturday’s contest.