Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 20 Men's Soccer Picks Up 1-0 Victory Over Marquette
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss

- Senior Dori Arad (Hahotrim, Israel) scored his second goal of the season as the University of Connecticut men’s soccer team defeated Marquette 1-0 in BIG EAST Conference action on Saturday night at Valley Fields.

In the ninth minute, the Huskies took a 1-0 lead early as Arad connected on a header off a corner kick by Mike Pezza (Washington, N.J.). Pezza’s pass, which he placed perfectly in front of the net for Arad, was his team-leading sixth assist of the season and Arad’s second goal of the year.

The Golden Eagles followed the goal, trying to take advantage of their first corner of the game but a shot by Tom Lynn was blocked by Oscar Castillo (El Monte, Calif.) at the top of the 18-yard box. 

Pezza had his own look at the net in the 16th minute but his shot was halted by Marquette goalkeeper, Matt Pyzdrowski.  A header by Anthony Colaizzi in the 18th minute was stopped by UConn goalkeeper, Josh Ford (Liverpool, N.Y.), marking his 50th save of the season.  Ford made another stop with a leaping save to keep the Huskies with the 1-0 advantage in the 31st minute as Marquette’s Michael Greene drilled the ball high towards the near post.

Calum Mallace lined the ball through the UConn defense in the 53rd minute but a diving Ford was able to get his hands on it for his third save of the game. The Huskies took control of the offensive game in the second half of play as freshman Tony Cascio (Gilbert, Ariz.) led the attack on the Golden Eagle defense.

A direct kick by Marquette’s Colaizzi five yards outside the 18-yard box soared above the UConn wall and over the cross bar to keep the Huskies ahead. A minute later, UConn’s Cascio was fed at the top of the 18-yard box in the 64th minute but his shot missed wide left of the goal keeping the score at 1-0.

Marquette failed to score on two shots on goal as the game clock ticked down as Ford made some key saves to hold the Golden Eagles scoreless. Ford finished the game with a new season high of seven saves while recording his eighth shutout of the year. Pezza and Castillo continue to put in solid minutes for the Huskies, who have won their second consecutive contest.

UConn returns to action on Wednesday night in Storrs, Conn. as the Huskies take on in-state foe Yale University in non-conference action at 7:00 p.m. at Morrone Stadium. The game will be taped by Cox Sports Television and aired on CST on Thursday night at 7:00 p.m.