Skip to main content Skip to footer
Ray Reid Earns 400th Victory Wednesday In UConn's 3-1 Win Over Temple

Head coach Ray Reid tallied his 400th career win on Wednesday against the Owls.
Oct. 22, 2014

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. - University of Connecticut men's soccer coach Ray Reid earned his 400th career victory on Wednesday, as the Huskies downed Temple, 3-1, at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. Reid became the 16th Division I coach to reach the milestone and UConn improved to 6-6-2 overall and 4-1-1 in the American Athletic Conference with the victory. The Owls (2-13-2) dropped to 1-4-1 in league play with the loss.

Connecticut sophomore forward Cyle Larin (Brampton, Ontario) tallied a season-high two goals in the win, starting in the 16th minute on a penalty kick after forward Ethan Vanacore-Decker (Manahawkin, N.J.) was taken down in the box on the counter attack. Larin put away the penalty kick with ease, firing past Temple goalkeeper Dan Scheck, who guessed the wrong way and dove left.

After the Owls evened the match in the 50th minute, Larin struck again, as the UConn striker collected senior defender Sergio Campbell's (Clarendon, Jamaica) flick on net and knocked in his team-leading seventh goal of the season. Vanacore-Decker provided the insurance goal for the Huskies in the 64th minute when he slotted home his second goal in as many games, gathering the rebound of a blocked shot and firing the ball into the right corner of the net.

Reid, who ranks second among active Division I coaches with a .762 winning percentage, coached eight years at Southern Connecticut before coming to UConn in 1997. In 2000, he led the Huskies to their third ever National Championship.



"I'm fortunate, I love what I do," said Reid. "I work at a great university, which has allowed me to go out and get the best assistants in the country and great players. There are a lot of guys in America that want this job and I got it."

Wednesday's result produced the first winning streak of the season for a Husky team that has now won three of its last four conference matches. Redshirt Scott Levene (Stamford, Conn.) finished the game with three saves to earn his fourth victory of 2014, and Connecticut held a 10-3 advantage in corner kicks.

UConn returns to action on Saturday when it hosts conference leader SMU at 7 p.m. at Morrone Stadium. Seven seniors will be honored prior to the match for Connecticut's Senior Day.