Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 3 Huskies Upset At Providence, 1-0

Nick Zuniga had two chances from inside the box today for Connecticut.

Oct. 24, 2012

Box Score

Providence 1, UConn 0 Get Acrobat Reader

PROVIDENCE, R.I. The No. 3 University of Connecticut men's soccer team dropped a 1-0 decision at Providence today and fell to 13-2-1 (5-2-0 BIG EAST). The Friars improved to 4-9-2 (2-5-1 BIG EAST). PC forward Marcos Ugarte scored the lone goal in the 55th minute.

The two teams will face off again in the regular seasons finale at 4 p.m. in Storrs. That game is sold out. Connecticut will honor the eight seniors before the game. There will be a live webstream at and fans can listen live at, 91.7fm.

Ugarte buried the game winner at 54:49 into the lower right corner off a cross by Keith Jecewiz.

Today's match marked the first time the Huskies have been outshot in 2012. UConn held a 9-6 edge in shots and a 5-0 edge in corner kicks. A muddy field produced 28 fouls; 15 for Providence, 13 for the Huskies. PC keeper Keasel Broome finished with three saves. Andre Blake tallied three in the loss.

The Friars had the first two quality chances of the match with shots from Brandon Alder in the 20th minute and Marcos Ugarte in the 25th that went wide right.

Connecticut's first chance of the game came off the head of 6-foot-4 center back Sergio Campbell. Max Wasserman drove in a corner kick from the left side that Campbell headed wide of the left post at 35:50.

The Huskies nearly struck again off a corner kick with just 45 seconds remaining. Colin Bradley flicked the initial ball into the six. Freshman Nicholas Zuniga found the ball in a scrum but lifted his shot over the bar.

At the half, with the score 0-0, both teams tallied three shots including one on goal for each team.

The Friars opened the scoring at 54:45 with a well-struck finish by Marcos Ugarte. Keith Jecewicz sent in a low cross from the right side. Ugarte was unmarked streaking into the box and one-timed his shot into the bottom right corner.

Blake made an incredible save at 61:40 to rob Wilder Arboleda from a sure goal. Arboleda found space all alone in the box and one-timed a shot from eight yards out. Blake dropped down to his right and made a one-handed grab on the goal line to Huskies within one.

Connecticut dominated possession following Blake's timely save. The Friars made it a physical contest the remaining way, with Matheson taking several fouls to earn free kicks for the Huskies.

Wasserman had a free kick from 23 yards out that curled over the top right corner in the 75th minute.

Zuniga had another chance on a corner kick with 10:23 remaining. Zuniga's initial shot was saved and a follow up from the right corner of the six was blocked by a sliding defender.

Alvarez had a chance two minutes later with a header on the left side saved by Broome.

The Huskies had several free kicks from inside the half but failed to capitalize as time expired.