Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Soccer Grabs American Athletic Conference Point With 1-1 Draw at Tulsa

Abdou Mbacke Thiam scored the equalizer at the 89:59 mark.
Oct. 24, 2015

Final Stats

TULSA, Okla. – Playing in its final regular season road game of the season, the UConn men’s soccer team grabbed an American Athletic Conference point with a 1-1 draw against Tulsa on Saturday night at Hurricane Stadium. With the tie, the Huskies move to 5-5-5 (2-3-2 The American), while Tulsa stands at 6-6-3 (2-3-2).

With one second remaining in regulation and the Huskies down 1-0, freshman forward Abdou Mbacke Thiam took a pass from junior co-captain Kwame Awuah and buried a shot on the near post from six yards out. For Thiam, the goal was his fourth in the last three matches and increased his team-leading total to seven.

The Golden Hurricane jumped out to 1-0 lead just 27 seconds into the second half when Geoffrey Dee buried his fourth score of the year, firing in a shot from 20 yards out.

With the draw, UConn moves to 2-0-2 all-time against Tulsa. The two squads each stand in third-placing in The American with eight conference points through seven league matches.

Redshirt-sophomore keeper Scott Levene made four saves in the draw, while counterpark Jake McGuire stopped a pair of Husky shots.



Junior co-captain Jake Nerwinski put up the team’s first shot in the 15th minute, sending in a bounding left-footed attempt that was saved by McGuire.

Thiam created an opportunity midway through the opening period, beating a centerback and putting a shot toward the frame that slipped just wide right. With 10 minutes left, senior forward Tyler Leeman one-timed a shot toward the bottom left corner of the net but it bounced just wide.

Leeman appeared to have tallied the equalizer in the 60th minute, blasting a shot from eight yards out but the goal was waved off after the offsides flag was raised by the official.

The Huskies had a look in the 75th minute when Thiam worked hard to earn a corner but junior co-captain Kwame Awuah’s inswinging attempt was cleared out by the Golden Hurricane centerback. Thiam came close in the 81st minute, attempting a bicycle-kick shot that sailed just over bar.

The Huskies held a 5-to-4 advantage in corner kick opportunities throughout the 110-minute match.

The Huskies close out the non-conference portion of their schedule on Tuesday, Oct. 27 when they host in-state rival Yale at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.