Skip to main content Skip to footer
Allando Matheson Nets The Game-Winner To Give UConn A 1-0 Win Over Cincinnati

Matheson has scored six goals in his last seven matches for the Huskies.

Oct. 26, 2013

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

STORRS, Conn. - Junior forward Allando Matheson buried the game-winning goal  with just under two minutes into the first overtime period, and the University of Connecticut men's soccer team defeated the Cincinnati Bearcats, 1-0, on a chilly Saturday night at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. With the victory, Connecticut moves to 8-2-5 (3-0-4 The American) and extends its unbeaten streak to 10 consecutive matches.  Cincinnati falls to 6-10-1 (1-6-0 The American).

Connecticut's game-winner was set up by a long volley from center back Sergio Campbell to Cyle Larin who headed a pass over to Matheson, who flipped an arching shot over the Cincinnati keeper, Alex Gill, and into the goal at 91:54.  It marked Matheson's sixth goal of the season and 17th of his career. The forward has now netted six goals in the past seven matches.  

Freshman Jakob Nerwinski and Cyle Larin each generated multiple quality looks for the Huskies in the early going, taking the ball to the bottom right of the box and hugging the endline before sending a cross towards the penalty mark. At 1:20, Larin's cross nearly found a cutting Mamadou Diouf but it squirted through the legs of the tall forward.

The Huskies had an excellent chance five minutes into the game when a Cincinnati foul set up Adria Beso with a direct kick from 22 yards out. The Lleida, Spain native curled a left-footed shot around the defensive wall, but it had too much power behind it and the ball sailed into the bleachers.

At 18:36 Nerwinski and Diouf teamed up again for another cross in the box that Diouf received with his chest but couldn't control the bounce as the ball squirted past the end line for a goal kick.

Cincinnati's best opportunity of the first half came at 25:04 when John Manga received a long lob pass and one-timed a ball that flew five yards wide of the net.

Midway through the second half, Edir DaGraca found Matheson in the middle of the box with his back to the goal, but Matheson was unable to secure the pass before the Cincinnati right back was able to knock the ball back towards midfield.

A Connecticut foul in the defensive third gave the Bearcats a free kick opportunity from 30 yards out, but the Connecticut defense was able to force Ashani Walker into a shot that sailed wide left of the goal.

Andre Blake played well for the Huskies again, making one save and improving to 6-2-5 in 2013. His counterpart, Gill, stopped three Husky shots but allowed the lone goal, falling to 6-7-1.

Connecticut outshot the Bearcats 8-5 in both halves, and had the pivotal final shot, finishing with a 17-10 advantage in the match.

The Huskies honored eight senior players and a graduating student manager on the field before the match in its annual Senior Night.

The Huskies have a week off before traveling to Dallas, Texas to face conference opponent, SMU, in the final regular season match of the season. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Westcott Field.