Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Soccer Concludes Non-Conference Play with 1-0 Win Over Yale

Kwame Awuah gave the Huskies a 1-0 lead in the 51st minute on Tuesday night.
Oct. 27, 2015

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. - Junior co-captain Kwame Awuah netted his first goal of the 2015 season to lead the UConn men's soccer team to a 1-0 victory over in-state rival Yale on Tuesday night in front of a crowd of over 2,400 at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. With the victory, the Huskies jump up to 6-5-5, while Yale drops to 1-11-1.

Connecticut improves to 5-1-1 when scoring first and also moves its home record to 4-1-4 this season. Additionally, the Huskies now stand at 39-26-4 all-time against the Bulldogs in a series dating back to 1935.

The Huskies outshot the Bulldogs, 16-to-4, during the 90-minute match and also held a 5-to-2 edge on corner kick opportunities.

Awuah, who entered the game 29th in the nation with six assists, gave the Huskies the lead at the 50:39 mark when he fired in a shot from 22 yards out. Freshman defender Simen Olafsen and junior midfielder Sebastian Brems eached picked up their first career points in a UConn uniform with assists on the scoring play.



Redshirt-sophomore Scott Levene nabbed his sixth shutout of the season, making one save. His counterpart Ruam Simpson took the loss after allowing the lone goal.

In the 15th minute, Awuah sent in a through-ball to a streaking Abdou Mbacke Thiam but the ball skipped just past the foot of the forward and into the arms of Simpson.

Redshirt-sophomore Andrew Geres nearly put the squad up 1-0 in the 26th minute when he blasted a shot off the crossbar on a counter attack. Thiam and junior co-captain Jake Nerwinski teamed up for an excellent chance in the 31st minute when the defender lobbed in a shallow cross to Thiam, who settled but couldn't get his left-footed shot off before it was cleared out by the centerback.

Four minutes into the second half, senior forward Tyler Leeman found Thiam in the box but the freshman pushed a shot toward the far post just inches wide of the target. Six minutes after Awuah's tally, freshman back Moustapha Samb settled a ball and fired toward frame from 20 yards out but his shot tailed wide.

UConn is unbeaten in its last four matches dating back to Oct. 17.

Connecticut wraps up regular season play on Saturday, Oct. 31 when it hosts conference-rival USF at Morrone Stadium in an important game for conference tournament seeding. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.