Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Advances To American Championship With 2-1 Win Over USF

Sebastian Brems recorded his first goal in a Husky uniform at the 55:11 mark on Friday night.
Nov. 13, 2015

Final Stats

TAMPA, Fla. - After playing a scoreless first half, the UConn men's soccer team scored twice in a span of 1:50 on its way to a 2-1 win over USF in an American Athletic Conference Semifinal on Friday, Nov. 13 at Corbett Stadium. With the win, the Huskies improve to 9-5-5, while USF falls to 11-5-3.

Connecticut advances to face fourth-seeded Tulsa in the tournament championship game on Sunday, Nov. 15 at 2 p.m. The match will be televised on ESPNU.

The Huskies extended their unbeaten streak to seven-straight, out-scoring opponents 14-to-3 over the stretch. Additionally, the team 7-0-0 when tallying at least two scores and jumps to 8-1-1 when scoring first.

Brems' tally came at the 55:11 mark after he received a centering pass off the foot of freshman defender Moustapha Samb and buried a shot from 14 yards out into the top right corner of the net. For Brems, the score marked his first Division I goal after transferring to the program prior to the start of 2015.



Freshman forward Abdou Mbacke Thiam doubled up the lead just 1:50 later, taking a pass from junior co-captain Kwame Awuah and burying his team-leading 11th goal of the year.

Nazeem Bartman cut the Husky lead to 2-1 in the 78th minute, putting in a curler on a free-kick from just outside of the box.

Redshirt-sophomore goalkeeper Scott Levene matched a career-high with seven saves, while his counterpart Spasoje Stefanovic made three saves in the 90-minute match.

The Huskies earned back-to-back corners in the third minute but Samb's header was knocked away. Brems had an excellent look at the 33-minute mark, sending in a low left-footed shot that was tipped just wide right of the cage for a Husky corner.

Levene thwarted a dangerous counter in the 16th minute, coming off his line to smother a loose ball eight yards from the frame. With five minutes to go in the opening period, Levene made a full-extension save on a an attempt by Eduardo Maceira.

The two squads combined for just seven total shots in the first half.

16 of the Huskies' 22 goals this season have come after the first half of play.

Check back with on Saturday for a complete match preview.