Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Soccer Advances to NCAA Second Round

Kwame Awuah scored two goals and had an assist in the victory.
Nov. 19, 2015

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

STORRS, Conn. - Junior co-captain Kwame Awuah scored a pair of second half goals and recorded an assist to propel the UConn men's soccer team to a 3-1 win over Boston University in an NCAA Tournament First Round match on Thursday afternoon at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. With the win, the Huskies move to 10-5-6, while the Terriers close out the 2015 season with a 12-6-2 record.

Connecticut advances to take on Indiana University in the NCAA Second Round on Sunday, Nov. 22 at 12 p.m. at Bill Armstrong Stadium in Bloomington, Ind.

UConn pushes its unbeaten streak to nine-straight and has outscored opponents 18-to-6 over the stretch. Additionally, the program improves to 23-10-7 in NCAA Tournament play under 19th-year head coach Ray Reid.

Awuah's game-winner came at 75:34 when he took a pass from junior midfielder Sebastian Brems and curled a shot into the upper left corner from 22 yards out. Seven minutes later, Awuah sealed the victory with his second score of the day, taking a cross from fellow captain Jake Nerwinski and notching his third goal of the 2015 campaign.

The Terriers jumped out to the 1-0 lead at the 29:57 mark when Felix De Bona took a cross frmo Mark Wadid and finished with an attempt into the upper right corner of the net. The goal was De Bona's team-leading ninth tally of the season.

The Huskies tied it up in the 54th minute when Awuah ran the endline and tapped a centering pass to freshman forward DeAndrae Brown, who snuck it past BU keeper Matt Gilbert for his second score of the year.

Redshirt-sophomore Scott Levene picked up his 10th win of the year, making one save. His counterpart Gilbert stopped two Husky shots and was charged with his sixth loss of the season.

In the second minute, the Huskies were awarded a free kick near the box but Awuah's curling cross was headed out by the defense. Seven minutes later, Levene came off his line to punch out an arching cross off the foot of Magnus Benediktsson.

At the 24-minute mark, Brems flicked a ball up the flank for Nerwinski but the captain's low cross was knocked away. Redshirt-sophomore Mark Richards had an excellent chance in the 26th minute, taking a long cross from Awuah and striding into the box but he could not get a shot off before Gilbert smothered the loose ball.

Brown nearly knotted it up in the waning seconds of the opening period, taking a through-ball from Awuah and putting a shot on frame that was knocked away by Gilbert.