Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Soccer Handles Toronto FC Reserves, 4-0

Greg O'Brien poses with a Canadian soldier from the War of 1812.

May 14, 2012

Photo Gallery | Daily Blog From J. Sanchez and C. Bradley

TORONTO, Canada - The University Of Connecticut men's soccer team took on a Toronto FC Reserve team on Saturday at 4:00pm at Downsview Park in Toronto. The match highlighted the first of four matches the team will participate in during their 10 day foreign tour in Toronto. The team also toured historic Fort York, best known as the location where the Battle of York came to its violent climax in 1813 during the War of 1812.

Toronto FC Reserves, which included players from their under-20 academy team, and the Canadian Soccer League hosted the Huskies on their brand new TFC Training Center, one of the most state of the art complexes in Canada and in the MLS.

Match report as told by director of soccer quality control Brian Clarhaut

On a windy Toronto afternoon, the Huskies wasted no time creating their first scoring opportunity in the third minute when Michael Mercado sailed a Carlos Alvarez corner kick just high. In the opening 10 minutes the game was surprisingly filled with numerous opportunities from both ends. Connecticut goal keeper Andre Blakemade two point blank saves to keep the Huskies at ease in the opening 15 minutes.

UConn's Mamadou Diof, was very active in the first half of play, he was constantly a scoring threat as Toronto's back four found him very difficult to contain. Diouf's first opportunity came in the 13th minute when Sean Weir placed a terrific over the top through ball to an in stride Diouf, who then managed to bring the ball under control and strike it just high. Two minutes later in the 15th minute, Diouf again shot just high after beating three Toronto players on the dribble. Finally, Diouf's hard work played off in the 38th minute off a Flo Liupass. Diouf took the pass along with a terrific turn and took a left-footed shoot into the lower corner of the net.

The Huskies continued to put Toronto under pressure, and in the 43rd minute off a Carlos Alvarez corner kick, Diof had an audacious volley which went across the top of the six yard box which found the head of Stephane Diop. Diop's header sailed just high. Finally, right before half, Colin Bradley converted the second goal off a Carlos AlvarezCorner in the 45th minute.

Connecticut did not let up going into the second half. Allando Matheson nearly converted a breakaway in the 57th minute. Eight minutes later Flo Liu hit a driven ball that Sean Weir finished in the bottom corner, putting the huskies up, 3-0. The final goal came in the 75th minute when Will Noiset took the ball on the end line and hit a great cross to an open Sean Weirwho finished his second goal of the contest putting Connecticut up, 4-0.

The men's soccer team will continue its Foreign Tour play on Wednesday May 16th when the Huskies play Hamilton FC Rage at 7:00 p.m. The game will be played at Guelph Soccer Complex.