Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Soccer Downs Hamilton Rage Of PDL, 3-2

Mamadou Diouf and Allando Matheson

May 17, 2012

Photo Gallery

Daily Blog From Bradley and Sanchez

TORONTO, Canada -The University of Connecticut men's soccer team competed in its second match of the Toronto Tour on Wednesday night, defeating the Hamilton Rage of the PDL, 3-2.

Match Report As Seen Through The Eyes of Director of Soccer Quality Control - Brian Clarhaut

The 7:00 p.m. kick off called for a cool and windy Canadian evening, but that did not slow the Huskies at the start of the contest. In the opening minute, Carlos Alvarez played a cheeky through ball to Mamadou Doudou Diouf. In stride, Diouf took a touch and hit it a yard wide. In the sixth minute, the Huskies got on the scoreboard with a goal from, North York, Ontario native, Allando Matheson. Carlos Alvarez played a lofted ball across the six-yard box which once again found Diouf. Diouf managed to flick the ball with his head to Allando Matheson who started off the scoring for UConn.

Hamilton settled down following the goal and found some solid possession in the midfield.

That quickly changed when Diouf once again found the ball in the final third, and drove into the 18 yard box. After beating a player on the dribble at the top of the box, Diouf drew a penalty kick. Diouf calmly converted his penalty kick in the 17th minute, putting the Huskies ahead, 2-0.

Hamilton, despite being down 2-0, continued to make play difficult for the Huskies. Hamilton finally converted in the 21st minute on a direct kick 21 yards out, which skimmed the lower cross bar and found its way into the back of the net.

Connecticut found some good form in the later stretches of the first half. The excellent ball movement paid off in the 38th minute when Carlos Alvarez's corner kick was settled by Allando Matheson, who found a wide open Colin Bradley on the far post. Bradley wasted no time and bent a left footed shot past the outstretched arms of the Hamilton keeper, putting the Huskies ahead, 3-1, at the half.

Hamilton immediately tested second-half goalkeeper Jake Wagmeister, who came up with an over the top save within seconds of the kickoff. Hamilton, who looked refueled from the halftime break, converted in the 52nd minute off a cross which found an open man at the far post.

The 3-2 contest became very much a midfield battle in the second half as possession shifted between both squads. Some good midfield play from Jonathan Goodridge allowed the Huskies to keep the ball and maintain their lead into the late minutes of the second half. Within the last 10 minutes, Wagmeister made some excellent diving saves to keep UConn ahead to secure its second win of the Canadian Tour.

Connecticut will play its final match against Sigma FC of the Ontario Soccer League on Saturday night at 7:30 p.m.