BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (August 31, 2006) - The University of Connecticut mens soccer team travels to Bloomington, Ind., to take part in the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic, hosted by Indiana University. The team is looking to tally its first win of the season after dropping the season opener to Loyola Marymount, 1-0, last weekend.
● The back-to-back BIG EAST Champion Huskies will face Indiana Friday night at 7:30 p.m. before taking on St. Louis Sunday at noon.
● UConn is 3-2 under Head Coach Ray Reid in games following a season-opening loss ... the Huskies have never dropped three consecutive games to start the year since Reid took over in 1997.
● Coach Reids Huskies have outscored opponents 7-2 in the second game of the season after coming off a loss.
● This is UConns second appearance in Indianas annual tournament, now in its 24th year ... In 1985, the Huskies took on UCLA and Clemson, coming up with a draw vs. both squads. They battled to a 1-1 tie against the Bruins before tallying a scoreless draw with the Tigers ... Clemson captured the tournament crown on penalty kicks.
● On nine occasions, the NCAA Champion has taken part in the Classic: Indiana (1983, 1988, 1998, 1999, 2003 & 2004), Clemson (1984), UCLA (1985) and Virginia (1989).
u On 22 occasions, a team in the Classic has gone on to participate in the College Cup ... In 1984, Clemson, Indiana and UCLA all played in the Classic and the College Cup.
About the Huskies
● UConn is ranked in each of the four major polls for the 14th consecutive week, although it fell considerably after week one with the loss to LMU. The Huskies are tagged No. 16 by Soccer America, seventh by College Soccer News and No. 12 by SoccerTimes.com. The NSCAA, which picked UConn second to start the year, did not release a poll this week, but will resume on Sept. 5.
● The Huskies return six starters from a year ago, including leading scorer OBrian White (10g, 8a) and 2005 All-American defender Julius James.
● Along with James, Karl Schilling returns as a center back to anchor the Husky defense that limited opponents to just 0.54 goals against average last season. The junior captains will have to help break in a new goalkeeper this season in either Josh Ford, Alex Horwath or Matt Sangeloty.
● The team captains for the 2006 season are junior defenders Julius James and Karl Schilling.
Series History: Indiana
● UConn leads the all-time series with Indiana 3-2-0 since the first meeting in 1978.
● The Huskies have won each of the last three meetings by a combined score of 6-2 ... the two teams have played four times in the regular season (1978, 1980, 1981 and 2003) ... UConn also won a 1-0 decision in the second round of the 2002 NCAA Tournament.
● In the last meeting, the Huskies came away with the 2-1 win in Storrs.
● UConn has played Indiana once in Bloomington, falling 1-0 on Sept. 7, 1980.
Scouting the Hoosiers
● Indiana is the only undefeated team in this weekends tourney field after winning Notre Dames Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament last weekend
the Hoosiers captured wins over Creighton (1-0 ot) and UAB (2-1).
● Sophomore Brian Ackley garnered several accolades for his two-goal performance
he was named the tournaments Offensive MVP along with garnering the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week and the College Soccer News Player of the Week honors
● Teammate Julian Dieterle was named the tournaments Defensive MVP after he tallying the Hoosiers third goal of the tournament and limiting the opposition to just one goal.
● Indiana is ranked fifth in the latest SoccerTimes.com poll, while College Soccer News tabbed the Hoosiers sixth and Soccer America ranked them No. 8.
Series History: St. Louis
● Though the Huskies trail 4-3-0 in the all-time series against St. Louis, they have won each of the last three meetings.
● The two teams have not faced off since the 1985 season when the Huskies came up with a 3-2 overtime win
Scouting the Billikens
● St. Louis heads into the weekend with an 0-1-0 record after dropping its season-opener to Illinois-Chicago, 1-0, on Saturday, Aug. 26 ... the loss was the first for the Billikens in a season-opener since 1995.
● St. Louis played a man down for nearly 50 minutes of action after defender Calum Angus was ejected.
● The Billikens are coached by former Husky All-American and Adi Dassler Award winner Dan Donigan ... Donigan was a freshman on the 1985 team that beat St. Louis, 3-2 (ot), in Storrs.
● Senior midfielder John DiRaimondo is on the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy Watch List for the second consecutive season, along with UConn co-captain Julius James ... DiRaimondo was the Atlantic-10 Offensive Player of the Year a season ago and was named to the A-10 preseason all-conference squad.
● Senior goalkeeper Nick Billman, tallied four saves against Illinois-Chicago ... sophomore Dado Hamzagic was also named to the preseason all-conference team.
● Soccer America had Saint Louis rated No. 25 in its preseason rankings, while College Soccer News had the Billikens 27th in its preseason poll.