UCONNHUSKIESDOTCOM HOME SPORT HOME
    Blake & Beso Named As Finalists For The 2013 Soccer News Net College Boot Award

    UCONNHUSKIESDOTCOM
    Junior midfielder Adria Beso was named the Conference Midfielder of the Year earlier this month.

    UCONNHUSKIESDOTCOM
    Junior midfielder Adria Beso was named the Conference Midfielder of the Year earlier this month.
    UCONNHUSKIESDOTCOM

    Nov. 27, 2013

    STORRS, Conn. – UConn junior goalkeeper Andre Blake and junior midfielder Adria Beso have been named as finalists for the 2013 Soccer News Net College Boot Award, which is given out every year to the top player in college soccer.

    The pair of Huskies are two of 29 finalists, who were chosen by editors of the Soccer News Network from around the country. Three players were named as finalists by newenglandsoccernews.com, with Boston College midfielder Zeiko Lewis joining Blake and Beso as contenders for the award.

    Fans can now vote online HERE and cast their vote as many times as they want for who they think should win the award. Voting will conclude on December 19th, and the fan vote will account for 40 percent of the total towards the award. The other 60 percent of the vote will be cast by the Soccer News Net Editorial staff, and whoever wins the popular vote will receive the Soccer News Net Supporter’s Choice Award.

    Beso, who was named the American Athletic Conference Midfielder of the Year earlier this month, has been a huge part of the UConn offense all season. The Lledia, Spain native is tied for third on the team with 10 points this season, and his 10 assists on the year are six more than any other player on the team.

    Blake, from May Pen, Jamaica, has been sensational between the posts yet again in his third season with the Huskies. The three-time conference Goalkeeper of the Year has given up just 12 goals in 19 games for No.10 UConn this year, boasting a 0.59 goals against average. He has 10 shutouts this season and in UConn’s Second Round NCAA Tournament game on Sunday against No. 5 UMBC he came up big, making two crucial saves in penalty kicks to help the Huskies advance.


     

     

    Connecticut returns to the pitch this Sunday for the Third Round of the NCAA Tournament. UConn faces No. 1 UCLA in Los Angeles, Calif. with kickoff set for 8 p.m. ET.