Skip to main content Skip to footer
Thiam Named as Finalist for Soccer News Net College Boot

Abdou Mbacke Thiam is one of 29 finalists for the 2015 Soccer News Net College Boot Award.
Nov. 30, 2015

Soccer Net News Release

STORRS, Conn. –
After helping the UConn men’s soccer team reach the NCAA Tournament for the 17th time in the last 18 years, freshman forward Abdou Mbacke Thiam was named as one of 29 finalists for the 2015 Soccer News Net College Boot Award, which recognizes the men’s college Player of the Year.

Fans from across the country will be able to vote for the top collegiate player. Voting began on Friday, November 27 and will continue until December 23. Online fan voting will account for 40% of the total toward the award. The remaining 60% of the vote will be cast by the Soccer News Net editorial staff. The winner of the popular vote will receive the Soccer News Net Supporter's Choice Award.

Thiam ranked second in the American Athletic Conference and 21st nationally with 11 goals scored in 22 matches and also checked in at No. 23 in the country with four game-winning tallies. Earlier this month, he earned a spot on The American’s All-Rookie and All-Second Team squads and found the back of the net three times during the Huskies’ run to the league tournament final.

“Abdou had a great freshman season for us,” said 19th-year head coach Ray Reid. “His second half really showed that kind of player that he is and we look forward to his continued development into next season.”


 

 

As a team, UConn concluded the 2015 season at 10-6-6, rounding out the season 7-1-2 in its final 10 matches. Connecticut earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament after playing Tulsa to a 1-1 draw in the league tournament championship match and topped Boston University, 3-1, on Nov. 19 at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium in an NCAA Tournament First Round tilt.  

The editors of each of the sites in the Soccer News Net network nominated up to three local players for the award, each of which will be eligible for the regional player of the year award. Nine additional at-large selections rounded out the nominations.

To cast your vote, please CLICK HERE.

 

UCONN OFFICIAL STORE

UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS