April 14, 2012
STORRS, Conn. -
The UConn men's tennis squad hosted Senior Day at the UConn Tennis Courts in Storrs and defeated in-state rival Sacred Heart, 7-0. Senior Dave Adams has now won four-straight matches in singles play. UConn honored the five seniors Scott Warden, Dave Adams, Matt Burns, Ricardo Cardona and Jai Yoon, prior to the match.
UConn got off to a great start by taking the doubles point. Senior Scott Warden and freshman Jacob Spreyer dispatched their opponents quickly, 8-2. Wei Lin and Dave Adams followed suit with an 8-2 result. Matt Burns and Joshua Palmer dropped their match at No. 3, 7-6 (5).
Dave Adams took the first team point in singles play, cruising through his match with big serves and ground strokes, 6-0, 6-1. Wei Lin followed up with a crafty victory, using creativity to spread his opponent thin to earn a 6-3, 6-2 result.
Ryan Carr took his match at No. 5 singles after winning a tight first set, 7-5. He got an early break of serve in the second to carry his momentum from the first set, taking the match with a 6-3 result in the second set.
Jacob Spreyer lost a close first set at No. 2 singles but battled back and won the match in a super tie-break, 4-6, 6-3, 10-6. Scott Warden won in straight sets and played really tough in the tie breaks to win both of his sets at No 1. Teddy Margules closed the match with a victory at No. 6 singles in dramatic fashion with a super tie-break score of 16-14.
The Huskies will hit the road for the BIG EAST Championships hosted by USF in Tampa, Fla. from April 19-22.
Final Score: UConn 7, Sacred Heart 0
1. Warden/Spreyer (UC) def Mohring/Miller (SH) 8-2
2. Adams/Lin (UC) def Sullo/Bagi (SH) 8-2
3. Lopresti/Pagan (SH) def Burns/Palmer (UC) 7-6(5)
1. Scott Warden (UC) def Chad Sullo (SH) 7-6(1), 7-6(0)
2. Jacob Spreyer (UC) def Justin Pagan (SH) 4-6, 6-3, 10-6
3. Dave Adams (UC) def Jake Miller (SH) 6-0, 6-1
4. Wei Lin (UC) def Logan Mohring (SH) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ryan Carr (UC) def Luka Bagi (SH) 7-5, 6-3
6. Teddy Margules (UC) def John Lopresti (SH) 5-7, 6-2, 16-14