BOSTON, Mass. (April 12, 2005) - The University of Connecticut men's tennis team was defeated by Boston University, 6-1, on Tuesday afternoon in Boston, Mass. The Huskies are now 4-7 this spring (0-3 vs. BIG EAST teams).
The lone UConn point came in doubles play as the Huskies took two of three matches. Freshman Christian Malerba (Derby, Conn.) paired with senior Joe Mercuri (Wallingford, Conn.) at No. 2 and defeated Kris Kubacki and Manuel Bulauitan, 8-5. The freshman duo of Michael Bobitski (Fort Myers, Fla.) and Go Kamiyama then secured the point with a 8-4 win over Phil DeMeo and Giulio Gallarotti at No. 3.
Boston University then swept through the singles matches to take the win at 6-1. Malerba was the only Husky to pushed his match to three sets, but lost at No. 3, 6-1, 4-6, 6-2, to Karim Zahran.
Boston University 6, Connecticut 1
1. Barrett Wolf def. Matt Stinson; 6-0, 6-0
2. Mike Orden def. Sho Sato; 6-1, 6-0
3. Karim Zahran def. Christian Malerba; 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
4. Kris Kubacki def. Joe Mercuri; 6-2, 6-0
5. Ross Lohr def. Michael Bobitski; 6-0, 6-1
6. Manuel Bulauitan def. Go Kamiyama; 6-0, 6-0
1. Wolf/Lohr def. Stinson/Sato; 8-1
2. Malerba/Mercuri def. Kubacki/Bulauitan; 8-5
3. Bobitski/Kamiyama def. Phil DeMeo/Giulio Gallarotti; 8-4