STORRS, Conn. (Oct. 5, 2005) For the third time in as many matches this year, the strength of the lower half of the University of Connecticut mens tennis teams lineup powered the Huskies to a team victory, as UConn won at No. 3-6 singles to down Salve Regina, 5-2, on Wednesday afternoon at the UConn Tennis Courts. With the win, the Huskies remain undefeated at 3-0 on the year while the Seahawks stand at 1-2.
The Huskies swept the three doubles matches to take the opening point of the contest. Sho Sato and Nate Carvalho teamed up for an 8-3 win at the top spot. Freshman Joey Michaels and sophomore Christian Malerba continued to show promise as they posted an 8-4 win at No. 2. Michael Bobitski and Joel Gameron finished out the sweep at No. 3 doubles with their 8-1 win.
Jeff Klar, Michaels, Malerba and Ben Schueler were easily victorious in straight sets for UConn at No. 3 through No. 6 singles, respectively, to give the Huskies five points and a team victory. The Seahawks got their wins at the top two positions, as Robbie Norton beat Matt Stinson at No. 1 and Jason Lago snuck past Sato in a third set super-tiebreaker at No. 2.
Weather permitting, the Huskies return to action on Saturday and Sunday when they host the UConn Invitational.
1) Sho Sato/Nate Carvalho (UC) d. John Crim/Robbie Norton (SRU), 8-3
2) Joey Michaels/Christian Malerba (UC) d. Jason Lago/Matthieu Brichon (SRU), 8-4
3) Joel Gameron/Michael Bobitski (UC) d. Michael Collins/Ted McAusher (SHU), 8-1
1) Robbie Norton (SRU) d. Matt Stinson (UC), 6-2, 6-4
2) Jason Lago (SHU) d. Sho Sato (UC), 4-6, 6-4, 10-5
3) Jeff Klar (UC) d. Ted McAusher (SHU), 6-1, 6-3
4) Joey Michaels (UC) d. John Crim (SHU), 6-3, 6-0
5) Christian Malerba (UC) d. Michael Collins (SHU), 6-1, 6-2
6) Ben Schueler (UC) d. Matthieu Brichon (SRU), 6-1, 6-2