The Huskies, 9-0 overall and 2-0 at the Caribbean Classic, can clinch their 12th consecutive in-season tournament title with a win over Florida State in their final game in Cancun on Sunday at 4:30 p.m. (ET). Northern Colorado slips to 4-6 following the loss.
UConn has now won 36 consecutive in-season tournament games and extends its winning streak against non-ranked opponents to 95 straight. The Huskies have also won each of their last 24 games against non-conference foes.
Northern Colorado (4-6) came out with some energy early on as it raced out to a 7-6 advantage led by a pair of driving baskets by Whitley Cox. The lead was short-lived however as Connecticut put together a 23-4 run keyed by Moore, who hit on each of her first five shots from the field, including a 3-of-3 clip from beyond the 3-point arc, to post 13 points in the opening 7:30.
The Huskies shot .529 (18-of-34) from the field in the first half to go into intermission with a 26-point advantage at 49-23.
UConn increased the margin to 62-23 with a 13-0 run over the opening 4:47 of the second half that was sparked by seven points by Tina Charles (Jamaica, N.Y.) in a span of 2:06. The Huskies continued to clamp down on the defensive end as they held Northern Colorado to just six field goals (6-of-27) in the second half.
For the game, Connecticut allowed only 10 two-point field goals, while forcing 20 Northern Colorado turnovers.
Joining Moore in double-digits was senior Renee Montgomery (St. Albans, W. Va.), who finished with 15. Junior Kaili McLaren (Washington, D.C.) led the Huskies on the boards with a season-high and team-best 10 rebounds. Freshman Tiffany Hayes (Lakeland, Fla.) chipped in seven points and nine rebounds.
UConn out-scored Northern Colorado 48-12 in the paint and converted 23 second-chance points, while the Bears managed four.
The Huskies wrap up play in Cancun, Mexico, at the Caribbean Classic on Sunday, Dec. 21, when they will face Florida State 4:30 p.m. (ET) tip.
UConn’s final game in Cancun against the Seminoles will be televised live on CPTV (Connecticut Public Television) and can also be heard live on the UConn Radio Network and via the internet at UConnHuskies.com.
- Todays victory moves UConn to a perfect 9-0 on the season for the third straight season and the 11th in the last 13 seasons overall.
- Todays contest marked UConns third of a five-game road trip.
- UConn extends its winning streak in regular-season tournament games to 36 straight.
- UConn moves to 202-11 all-time when playing as the nations No. 1 ranked team in the Associated Press Top-25.
- UConn improves to 158-54 all-time in the month of December and has won each of its last 20 games played during the calendars final month.
- Todays game marked the first-ever meeting between Connecticut and Northern Colorado in the sport of womens basketball.
- UConn moves to 4-0 all-time against Big Sky opponents following todays win over Northern Colorado.
- UConn extends its winning streak vs. non-ranked opponents to 95 straight.
- UConn has won each of its last 24 games against non-conference opponents in the regular season.
- Maya Moores 19 points marked her ninth game in double-figure points this season and the 45th of her career in 47 career games.
- Renee Montgomerys 15 points marked her eighth game with double-figure points this season and the 81st of her career.
- Kaili McLarens 10 rebounds marked a season-high and the fourth of her career.
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS