March 29, 2011
2011 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball East Regional Final Notes
Liacouras Center- Temple University- Philadelphia, Pa.
March 29, 2011
#1 Seed University of Connecticut Huskies vs. #2 Seed Duke University Blue Devils
- UConn reaches their fourth-straight Final Four, 12th in program history. The Huskies will face the University of Notre Dame, who defeated Tennessee by a score of 73-59, on Sunday (4/3) in Indianapolis.
- The Huskies have beaten UND three times this season (11 pt average), most recently in the Big East Championship game (73-64) on March 8, 2011.
- Philly love: UConn head coach Geno Auriemma (Norristown, PA native) will face Notre Dame's Muffett McGraw (Pottsville, PA native) in the Final Four.
- Coach McGraw was a four-year starter at St. Joseph's University (Philadelphia), where UConn's Coach Auriemma's son Mike Auriemma played basketball.
- UConn's Maya Moore becomes only the seventh women's player to EVER hit 3,000 career points in NCAA Division I after scoring 28 points tonight. She becomes the first player to reach this milestone since Missouri State's Jackie Stiles did in 2001.
- Four UConn starters scored in double figures - Moore (28), Hartley (14), Dolson (12) and Hayes (11). Jasmine Thomas led all Duke scorers with 17 points.
- All-American face-off tonight: 4x winner UConn's Maya Moore (only the second player ever to earn the honor all four years), 2x Duke's Jasmine Thomas
- At halftime tonight, UConn led 30-20 as compared to the last time the two teams met whereas Duke trailed by 26 (41-15).
- In their last meeting (1-31-11), UConn held Duke's Karima Christmas to just five points and seven rebounds, while UConn's Maya Moore notched 29 points and nine boards.
- UConn improves to 7-3 against Duke, having won the last four-straight meetings.
- The Big East leads the ACC overall this season 14-6 (including post-season contests)
- NCAA East All-Region Team: tonight Duke's Jasmine Thomas and Christmas were named to the All-Region team, while UConn's Hartley, Dixon and Moore made the cut.
- Jasmine Thomas led all Duke scorers with 17 points.
- Duke finishes the season 2-2 vs. Big East opponents.
- Duke's 20 second-half points is their lowest second-stanza output this season.
- Duke goes to 4-5 in Elite Eight games in program history.
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS