Skip to main content Skip to footer
Boddy's Big Day Leads No. 5 Field Hockey Past Rutgers, 5-0

Louisa Boddy posted the first hat-trick of her career on Saturday.

Sept. 15, 2012

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

STORRS, Conn. - Graduate student defender Louisa Boddy recorded the Huskies' second hat-trick of the season and All-American goaltender Sarah Mansfield notched her second shutout of the year to lead the No. 5 University of Connecticut field hockey team to a 5-0 victory over Rutgers on Saturday afternoon at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex in Storrs. With the win, UConn improves to a perfect 6-0 in 2012 while Rutgers drops to 3-4. The contest was the BIG EAST opener for both teams.

Connecticut, the defending BIG EAST Regular Season Champion, has now won its last six BIG EAST regular season openers.

Sophomore forward Chloe Hunnable notched her second-career hat-trick earlier this season. UConn has posted five hat-tricks in the past two years.

It didn't take the Huskies long to get the scoring started as Boddy's first goal came just 2:04 into the contest. UConn was awarded one of its 12 penalty corners and Boddy took the feed from classmate Katherine Baker, and the stop from sophomore Chrissy Davidson, and drilled a shot past RU net-minder Sarah Stuby to give UConn a 1-0 lead it would not relinquish.

This one was closer than the final score indicated though and Mansfield was outstanding in preserving the shutout while the game was still in doubt. Rutgers and UConn both took six shots in the first half and Mansfield made five big saves to help the Huskies hang onto the lead.

Mansfield's biggest moment came when she saved a penalty stroke off the stick of Carlie Rouh in diving fashion with 11:58 remaining in the first half. Mansfield ended the day with seven saves and the shutout was the 15th of her career. Her record now stands at 41-9 in her third year as the UConn goalkeeper.

The score remained 1-0 until Emily Walsh netted the first goal of her career 14-minutes into the second half. Hunnable dribbled into the circle and found Walsh with a backhanded cross. Walsh controlled the ball and drilled it inside the near post to give the Huskies some breathing room.

Hunnable added some insurance less than two minutes later as she found a seam in the Rutgers defense, dribbled deep into the circle and rocketed her fourth goal of the season past Stuby. Boddy would add two more scores in the last 10-minutes of the game but she very easily could have had another. With under 10-minutes remaining in the first half, Boddy struck another shot from the top of the circle off a corner but it was saved by Rutgers defender Laura Rose in what at the time looked like it could be a big play.

Stuby made 11 saves for the Scarlet Knights. Connecticut completely dominated in the second half, out-shooting Rutgers by a 19-2 margin and the Huskies out-shot RU 25-8 for the game. After creating only two corners in the first half, UConn had 10 in the second while not allowing Rutgers to attempt a single corner.

The Huskies are back in action on Sunday, September 16 when the team welcomes intrastate foe Yale to Storrs. Game time is set for 2 p.m. at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.