Skip to main content Skip to footer
Hunnable's Two Goals Lift No. 5 Field Hockey Over No. 16 UNH in Double-Overtime

Louisa Boddy tallied her third assist of the season on Friday.

Sept. 21, 2012

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - 2011 BIG EAST Rookie of the Year Chloe Hunnable scored two goals, including the game-winner in the second overtime period, to lead the No. 5 University of Connecticut field hockey team to a 3-2 double-overtime victory over No. 15 New Hampshire on Friday evening at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex in Storrs, Conn. With the win, the Huskies improve to 8-0 on the season while the Wildcats slip to 4-4.

UNH, which defeated No. 9 Northeastern last weekend, is the fourth ranked team to fall to the Huskies in 2012. UConn has also scored victories over No. 9 Penn State, No. 15 Michigan and No. 21 Albany so far this season.

Hunnable now has six goals and 18 points this season, both of which are good for second on the team. Hunnable also dished-out her sixth assist of 2012 on Friday, which is a team best. 2012 Preseason BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year Marie Elena Bolles recorded her team-leading eight goal of the season. She is also tops on the squad with 20 points.

The teams found themselves 13 minutes away from a shootout when Hunnable netted the game-winner. The teams were playing seven-on-seven and the Huskies were awarded the only penalty corner of the second OT as time wound down. Graduate student midfielder Katherine Baker inserted the corner to Hunnable, who was at the top of the circle on the wing. She dribbled slightly deeper into the circle and hit a bullet past UNH keeper Carlie Tarbell to clinch UConn's eighth-consecutive win.

The Huskies out-shot the Wildcats by a 19-10 margin and held an 11-6 edge in penalty corners. Tarbell ended the game with nine saves for UNH as she thwarted several good Husky scoring chances. 2011 First Team All-American Sarah Mansfield made three saves for UConn and stopped a breakaway by UNH right before Hunnable's game-winner.



UNH forward Emma Erler got the scoring started with an unassisted score just 5:51 into the contest by Hunnable's first goal of the game came less than five minutes later to restore parity. Bolles' eighth goal of the season came just over five-minutes later and the score stayed tied through halftime.

However, Hannah Richard knotted the game up at 2-2 when she punched one in from close range at 49:51.

Connecticut is back in action on Sunday, September 23 when the team travels to Philadelphia, Pa. to take on Villanova. Game time is set for 12 p.m. and fans can follow along via GameTracker right here on