Skip to main content Skip to footer
No. 2 Field Hockey Suffers First Loss of Season; Nipped 4-3 in OT by BC

Marie Elena Bolles and the Huskies are back in action on Friday.

Oct. 6, 2013

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - Three different Huskies scored and junior forward Anne Jeute dished-out two assists but it was not enough as the No. 2 University of Connecticut field hockey team dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 9 Boston College in overtime on Sunday afternoon at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex in Storrs, Conn. 

With the win, UConn’s regular-season winning streak at home ends at 19 games and the Huskies slip to 10-1 on the season.  The Eagles improve to 10-2. 

The Huskies last regular-season loss at home came on September 18, 2011, coincidentally, to No. 8 Boston College.  UConn downed BC last season, 5-1, in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

Junior BC midfielder Emma Plasteras scored three goals in this one, including the game-winner with 4:55 remaining in the first overtime period.  Ashleigh Sebia controlled a loose ball in the circle and dished to Plasteras who struck a shot by Sarah Mansfield and inside the post to clinch the BC upset. 

The scoring was fast and furious early as the two squads combined for six goals in the game’s first 45:29. 

UConn sophomore midfielder Sophie Bowden got UConn on the board at the 23:56 mark and knotted the score up after the Eagles had scored an early goal.  Jeute dribbled into the circle and found Bowden who nailed a shot inside the far post and past Leah Settipane. 

Plasteras answered with her first of three goals at the 31:21 mark but the Huskies came right back and tied the score at 2-2 with Marie Elena Bolles’ sixth goal of the season. 

With time winding down in the first half, Jeute once again created a scoring change and struck a shot that was saved by Settipane.  However, the rebound was collected by Bolles who flicked it into Settipane’s pad again before controlling another rebound and finding the back of the net with her second attempt. 



Sophomore back Roisin Upton gave the Huskies a 3-2 lead when she converted on a penalty corner strike at 41:15 but the Eagles were able to tie it up at 45:29, setting up UConn’s third overtime game of the season.

The Huskies outshot the Eagles by a 21-14 count and held a 15-11 edge in shots on goal.  UConn also created nine penalty corner chances to BC’s five.     

Mansfield ended the day with seven saves for UConn while Settipane stopped 12 shots for the Eagles. 

UConn is back in action on Friday, October 11 when the team welcomes Louisville to Storrs.  Game time is set for 6 p.m. at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.