Skip to main content Skip to footer
Veitner’s Hat Trick Pushes No. 2 UConn Past Temple, 8-0

Charlotte Veitner had her sixth game with at least three goals.
Oct. 9, 2015

Final Stats

Box Score

– Sophomore Charlotte Veitner (Dusseldorf, Germany) tallied her sixth game with at least three goals to help the University of Connecticut field hockey team remain undefeated with an 8-0 win over Temple on Friday afternoon in the City of Brotherly Love.

With the victory, the Huskies improve to 12-0 overall and 2-0 in the Big East while Temple slips to 3-9. This was the conference opener for the Owls.

UConn outshot Temple 30-to-4 as the Owls earned their lone shot on goal with 24 seconds left in the game, resulting in a save for the Huskies’ goalkeeper redshirt sophomore Nina Klein (Topton, Pa.) for her fifth solo shutout of the season.

Connecticut also held its Big East opponent to two penalty corners while racking up 13 of its own.

Veitner put the Huskies on the board with 10:29 on the clock after she inserted the ball to junior Anna Middendorf (Bremen, Germany) who stepped wide and fired a shot towards the cage for a cutting Veitner to tip in.

Less than 10 minutes later, UConn successfully converted another corner when Veitner put the ball in play to a waiting Middendorf. Middendorf pulled back and sent a scorcher into the far right post to put the Huskies up 2-0.

Sophomore Kendall Youngblood (Milwaukee, Wis.) crossed the ball from the right side for junior Olivia Bolles (Phoenixville, Pa.) to flick past Temple’s goalie Haley Mitchell for her second goal of the season.



In the 32nd minute, UConn was awarded a penalty stroke, which was taken by senior Roisin Upton (Limerick, Ireland). Upton set up in front of the goal and sent the ball high over the net-minder’s right shoulder for the score.

Although time had expired, UConn was given its seventh corner of the half. Veitner set things in motion, getting the ball to graduate student Pippa Lewis (Malvern, England). Lewis stick-stopped and Middendorf launched a shot into the back of the net to give the Huskies a 5-0 lead heading into the locker room.

Off the fast break, Veitner opened the second half scoring by dribbling around Temple’s defense and curling the ball past the keeper. Four minutes later, Lewis left the ball for Veitner, who drew Temple’s defense out and performed the J-turn to chip in the tally for her hat trick.  

Lewis posted a goal after catching the rebound off the goalie’s shin for the score, putting the Huskies ahead 8-0.

UConn continues its Pennsylvania road trip with a 1 p.m. battle with Drexel on Sunday.