Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Tops Yale, 8-3, on Senior Day

Olivia Bolles scored her first two goals of the season in UConn's 8-3 win over Yale on Sunday.
Oct. 19, 2014

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. – The No. 4 University of Connecticut field hockey team took care of business on Senior Day, downing Yale, 8-3, on Sunday at the George J. Sherman Family-Sports Complex. With the win, UConn jumps up to 11-2 (3-0 Big East), while the Bulldogs drop to 2-11 overall.

The Huskies improve to 32-0 all-time against in-state foe Yale and also extend their winning streak to five. Connecticut has tallied 15 goals over its last 140 game minutes.



Prior to the game, the field hockey program honored its four senior class members with a short ceremony that included parents, coaches and membes of the athletic administration. The class has compiled a 69-12 record in its three-plus seasons in Storrs, the best mark of any four-year class in Husky history.  

UConn wasted no time getting on the board in the first half as Olivia Bolles (Phoenixville, Pa.) found the back of the net for the first time this season at the 1:37 mark. Bolles inserted the ball on a penalty corner attempt and cut to the net as Sophie Bowden (Somerset, England) threaded a pass into the sophomore, who finished into the bottom right of the cage.

Less than a minute later, Mckenzie Townsend scored her first of the year after receiving a backdoor pass from Chloe Hunnable (Halstead, England) and finished on the near post. The scoring continued at the 12:10 mark when Anna Middenford (Bremen, Germany) buried her sixth goal of the year on the Huskies' third penalty corner of the game. Freshman Charlotte Veitner (Dusseldorf, Germany) inserted the ball to Davidson, who executed the stick-stop and allowed Middendorf to blast a shot into the bottom left corner. For Davidson, it marked her team-leading ninth assist of the year.

Middendorf continued her offensive outburst when she notched her second goal of the game with 11 minutes remaining in the first frame. After Davidson set the ball at the edge of the circle on the penalty attempt, Middendorf fired a shot that skipped by the keeper and into the net. Freshman Kendall Youngblood joined the act with her second goal in as many games at the 29:31 mark of the first half, tipping in a center passing from Bowden.

The Huskies kept up the offensive charge in the second half, scoring less than two minutes into the frame. Davidson continued her strong afternoon when she collected a pass from Veitner at the top of the circle and sent a bouncing ball past the Bulldogs' backline and into net. Connecticut stretched the lead to 8-1 when Bolles slipped through the defense and took a cross from Montana Fleming and chipped in her second goal of the day.

The Bulldogs grabbed two late goals but could not scratch any closer, falling 8-3.

Redshirt-freshman Nina Klein picked up the win, allowing three goals while making three stops. Overall, the Huskies held a 13-to-3 penalty corner attempts, including nine in the first 35 minutes.

UConn continues Big East play next weekend when it travels to Villanova to take on the Wildcats on Friday, Oct. 24 at 7 p.m.