Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Advances to 13th-Straight Big East Tournament Final with 3-1 Win Over Providence

Charlotte Veitner scored her third goal in two games to help the Huskies advance to the Big East Tournament Final.
Nov. 7, 2014

Final Stats

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Freshman forward Charlotte Veitner (Dusseldorf, Germany) continued her incredible stretch of play, scoring her third goal in two games to lift the No. 3 University of Connecticut field hockey team to a 3-1 victory over Providence in the Big East Tournament semifinals on Friday night at Lennon Family Field. With the win, UConn improves to 15-2 and will take on Temple on Sunday in the tournament final which is set for 1 p.m.

The Huskies will head to their 13th-straight Big East Tournament Final and look to win the program’s third tournament crown in as many seasons. Overall, UConn has won 13 Big East tournament titles and has emerged victorious in 34 of 44 Big East tournament games under head coach Nancy Stevens.

Connecticut has now won nine straight match-ups with their out-of-state foes and improve to 32-8-3 in the all-time series, which dates back to 1981. In addition, the Huskies have won 22 of their last 24 games against Big East competition, a streak which includes nine wins in-a-row.

Providence got on the board first, grabbing the game’s first goal with eight minutes gone by in the second half after Daniella Bernasconi collected a bouncing ball in the circle and swatted a shot past the Connecticut backline and into the cage.  



UConn answered  2:44 later on the team’s third penalty corner attempt of the game. Veitner inserted the ball and cut to the goal where Big East Defensive Player of the Year Roisin Upton found her with a pass that the freshman tipped into the bottom left corner of the cage.

The Huskies claimed the lead for good at the 59:14 mark when Umstead tipped in a pass from Anna Middendorf (Bremen, Germany) on the near post. It marked the seventh goal of the season for the freshman and sixth goal for Middendorf.

Upton gave the Huskies a commanding 3-1 edge when she fired a shot in from the top of the circle that squeezed by the backline and rattled into the cage. Davidson and Veitner were credited with assists on the scoring play.

The Huskies dominated the scoring chances throughout the game, topping the Friars, 12-2, in both shots and penalty corner attempts.

Redshirt-freshman Nina Klein notched one save in the win while her counterpart Deidra Clymer registered five saves but allowed all three Husky scores.

The Huskies had an excellent opportunity with just over nine minutes remaining in the first half when Mckenzie Townsend threaded a through-pass into the circle to a cutting Darby Smith, who side-stepped a defender but couldn’t get a shot off before Clymer charged in to clear the ball.

UConn earned three-straight penalty corner attempts with 19 minutes remaining in regulation, putting two shots on goal but the Friar backline recorded a pair of blocks on Upton’s attempts.

Connecticut held a 5-to-0 shot advantage in the first half, including three on goal.